Impressions of car after some quality time at the bodyshop.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Impressions of car after some quality time at the bodyshop.

My car spent about two months at the shop. I picked it up last thursday and wanted to give it a good washdown and look over, but I just haven't had the time since. I've taken enough looks at it to give my impressions though.

Let me just say first off, that I'm very **** about this type of stuff, and I see far more than the typical person would ever pick out.

The color and the blend job looks very nice from what I have seen. I haven't seen it under many different lighting conditions, so time will tell for sure. I actually had them hit multiple panels, and one can't really tell.

My biggest complaint is the overspray issue. I have a bit on the black rubber moldings along the door and windshield. The jambs have a very distinct line in them where they were done as well. That is my biggest complaint, since nothing can be done about it and I'll have to learn to live with it. The other thing being the painted bolts on the fender and such. Keep in mind my **** problems . Since they obviously had to remove them, the paint on the bolts flaked off. Well, they went back on with the paint all flaked off....the first hint that they have been tampered with.

The other complaint is the texture of the new paint. It definetly has the orange peel effect...unlike the factory paint. I understand that the factory paint is hard to replicate, but I know that it can be done and was done very closely when I had the original S4 bumper done. I can't really be too picky here though as it is to be expected though....another thing I'll have to live with.

The last complaint from my scrutinizing brain has to do with a few mechanic issues that I have come across while quickly having a look in my engine bay. All of which will be taken care of in time by myself, so I'm not really worried about this aspect. Stuff like the wires going to the hood pin being zip tied to the upper radiator hose!? This is instead of using the supplied factory clips in the radiator support. I've done an enormous amount of work in this engine bay, never opting to use zip ties, so this one kinda hurts ;P. My ambient temp. sensor is consistently reading 98-101 degrees, so who knows where they've placed that...among some other minor things.

Alright, enough complaining for one night. The service from them was great, they were easy to deal with, and they even let me source a few parts myself. I'm not trying to bash the shop at all, just trying to give an honest opinion for others to go by. The car is not in any way back to original condition, nor do I expect it to be. It's just hard to swallow, that's all. Again....to the naked eye it probably looks great!!

HTH,

Chad
Old 07-19-2005, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

didn't you have it done at European Bodyworks?
Old 07-19-2005, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Haha....oops

Yes I did. I forgot to throw that in at the end.

Chad
Old 07-19-2005, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds like they have some things to fix...

Me getting you parts at a cheaper price shouldn't have hurt their profits as to allow them to skimp on paint quality.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:38 PM

Default wow, i'm surprised

their work on Molly's car was amazing... i can honestly say that I could not tell the repair from factory (and I'm pretty discerning as well). I'd bring it back to them if you are not satisfied.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd

they fixed my boo boo very nice.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dude, I saw your car there 2 mos. ago when I was having my RS4 bumper done. Was wondering whose that

was.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default So I hear.

I never got a good look at it though.

Chad
Old 07-20-2005, 01:07 PM
Elder Member

Default i'd have them redo it

there should be no orange peel effect, nor should there be overspray. when they fix my hood, if its not perfect, they will continue to fix it until it is. i'm paying them to make it beautiful, not half *** it.

but i have heard a LOT of really really good stuff about them. some of it being recent (arob)
Old 07-20-2005, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well, the problem is......

I'm headed back to Maine next week, so there's really no time to complain or get anything done. I'd like to get some others to have a look at it though to see if I'm right about it.

Chad

Quick Reply: Impressions of car after some quality time at the bodyshop.