Moving to DC in 28 days.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Moving to DC in 28 days.

I've been lurking in and out of this forum for a while now. It seems like you guys/girls are a pretty active bunch. This gives me the hope of still being able to have a life. I'm moving, only knowing one person in that area. Hopefully I can get together with the audi crew, and make the adaption a bit easier.

I'll be living in the Foggy Bottom/GWU area. What are my options as far as parking? I know there are some parking garages in the area, but does anyone have any idea as to what they would charge?

I have a few concerns regarding the city way of living. I'm losing the luxury of a garage, most of my tools, a hose, etc., so I have a few questions.

How do you guys go about doing any mods, or where? Are there any car wash places around? Gas stations? Most of the roads I've seen left a lot to be desired...is that the case? Will the be a need to run my snow tires? I guess that's it off the top of my head. I'm sure I'll come up with many more.

I'm all about checking out the night life, getting to different places. Who are the regulars for this type of thing?

Can I add an AIM names to my list? Mine is audi180q.

Thanks for any help,
Chad
Old 09-26-2004, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welcome to the DC area!

Yes, we are a pretty active bunch. We do a lot of things together and get a little crazy sometimes. There are parking garages near Foggy Bottom, but they will run 100-200 monthly. Are you going to school at GW? If so, you should talk to Jason (SimplyJ). He goes to law school at GW and should be able to tell you more.

To answer your questions.

People usually volunteer their homes, tools, random parking garages P. Everyone here is pretty nice and loves to do mods.

I lknow of two gas stations close to Foggy Bottom, I don't think either have car wash stations. You can go across the bridge to Arlington and get your car washed there.
No fun drives in DC area, but if you want twisty roads, you'll have better luck in VA and MD. You will probably not have a need to run snow tires here. Depends on the season, but doubt you'll need them. All season tires will be your best bet.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-26-2004, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Welcome to the DC area!

Thanks Jenna. Hmmm..not sure how $200 a month sounds. I might just have to keep circling around for a street spot every day; sounds like fun.

The mod thing sounds like a good time. I have quite a few mods that I've been lucky enough to do myself, but the lack of space to continue to do so is getting to me already.

I don't think I've seen a gas station in the area. I think I've seen one in georgetown. The car wash thing is a drag too. With these stoptechs, my wheels are always black .

Thanks again,
Chad
Old 09-26-2004, 04:49 PM

Default Np. I work at Dupont Circle and hang out in DC a lot.

Couple of us live in DC as well so they can give you some helpful info. Good luck!
Old 09-26-2004, 05:21 PM

I've got a garage if you wanna do mods
Old 09-26-2004, 05:35 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welcome to the area.

Like Sandy (Jenna) said, there aren't many places in DC to wash the car, however, it's just a few minutes into MD and VA and there are plenty of places around.

Also, I agree that all seasons will probably suffice.

There are lots of things that go on down here. Lots of places to go and you will surely meet many people once you get down here and start working and going out a bit.

Foggy Bottom is a nice area and there are tons of places to go out around there.

Again, welcome!
Old 09-26-2004, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Great, thanks!
Old 09-26-2004, 06:12 PM

Default West Ender here.

I'm right across Pennsylvania ave from you on 24th and N. Street parking isn't too hard to find if you try to grab one a little before 630 or after 9pm. There's at least 4 car washes within a 15 minute drive.

There's plenty of gas stations right around foggy bottom:
22nd and M
22nd and P
2 stations at Virgina Ave and Rock Creek
Also several in Gtown.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no need to worry about the lack of garage...plenty of guys around here are willing to lend driveways

anytime you have something you need to do, just post it up on here and you'll find several people will offer to let you use their driveway and/or garage for an afternoon. Everyone around here's pretty awesome, very helpful; you'll discover the camraderie within all of us is great. As far as washing your car, there's several DIY coin-op places all around, but I'm just not familiar with any in DC as I live in Fairfax VA.
Nightlife is great, DC has a million and a half bars & clubs and making the trek to Baltimore (bout an hour north) once in a while is fun. Usually if a group of us plans to go out one night, someone will post it up on here. Until recently we've been religiously doing Wed night happy hour since there's a place in Arlington that has $1 pints til 9pm, but once that place stopped taking table reservations on Wed interest has really dropped because it's impossible to get in without a table due to the large crowd. I'm sure we can start something up again somewhere....
you'll have fun living here, don't worry!
Old 09-26-2004, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default welcome! another big turbo A4 in the area! =)

I just moved here 3 weeks ago from NJ. I also lost the luxury of a garage, but i got all my tools with me since you know our cars are so damn high maintenance.

car wash...just come to my place. I got a driveway here.

Quick Reply: Moving to DC in 28 days.