Tell me about DC NVA area - Favorite Mechanics, GTG's, Clubs, etc

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me about DC NVA area - Favorite Mechanics, GTG's, Clubs, etc

I have still yet to find a place to live but am making progress - talking to a few potential roommates. Will probably be near Ballston.

Anyways looking to find a good mechanic when I move up, but will also need the best dealer service in the area to take care of CPO items. Heard NGP is good, agreed?

Wondering what I can expect as far as meets, get-togethers, spirited drives, shows, local car clubs, and helpfulness of fellow audi/vag owners...

Thanks for any input!! Chad
Old 02-06-2008, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Everyone here sucks and nobody does anything.

Ok, I lied.

There are a couple mechanics in the area that you see popping up on here on a regular basis. Induktion is usually recommended, though they are up near BWI airport. It's not the most convenient drive from NOVA. Roger will always recommend his boy in Alexandria at Euro Imports. None of the dealers get terribly high marks, espcially Audi of Alexandria. HBL in Tysons does alignments for cheap, so they're on my good list.

Meets seem rare, though it's not my bag and I don't actively seek them. Get-togethers are usually impromptu, but fun when they happen. The only regularly "scheduled" event is Wednesday Night @ Rock Bottom in Ballston. Hit up Roger for the details or keep your eyes peeled for his Wednesday post. A few of us will meet up for beers when the mood hits us right.

Spirited drives happen occasionally - I would recommend the Fall Fun Run for sure. Many of us really enjoy track time and attending HPDEs through ACNA, TrackDaze, SCCA, NASA, or the other Marque clubs (except for the Porsche Club, those elitist bastards). Save your pennies - it's an awful addiction.

As for helpfulness, I can't say enough good things about this community. Most everyone is willing to pitch in and help. I have been the beneficiary of this generosity on numerous occasions and I just can't say enough good things about the people here.

Welcome to the area.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:34 AM

Default arob is the resident postwhore...

he will fire back by saying i am the resident kettle but he just says that so he doesn't feel so alone.

welcome to awma. i have never owned an audi.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:39 AM

Default You are the kettle!!

Just a little PW payback.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Join ACNA....

Potomac is one of, if not THE, largest chapter of ACNA, and one of the most active.

As far as dealers go, there are pages of horror stories about HBL. Just search here and you'll find plenty of reading. Yeah, they are the cheapest on somethings like alignments, but its up to you if you're willing to take the chance.

I'll put my plug in for Criswell, out in Annapolis. If you like people that like you, then go there. Its a bit of a hike, BUT, George Criswell, the owner is very active in the Audi Club and the enthusiast community. He kicks in money and swag for out track events. He always brings out something cool to drool over. So ACNA very much appreciates him.

HBL on the other hand has been approached and they have NO interest in enthusiast community, sponsoring the club, hosting tech sessions, etc.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:23 AM

Default Tischer, for Service. And parts, and advise, and well the list goes on

HBL-WTF exS4! Maybe if you want to look at a pretty building. Sheesh.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ditto on what APK said... I'm in Ballston, do my own work on my car...

But I do recommend EuroImports in Old Town Alexandria if you need an excellent local mechanic. We have GTG's farely regularly, especially if beer is involved.

A lot of us have been getting into track events in the last year or 2, so I you want to come join us you'll get a lot of support.

Welcome,
R.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:41 AM

Default :) If you are in nova and dont want to leave nova you really only have one choice

if you dont mind driving i recommend andy and bill at tischer.(i drive there every day)

better andy?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

HBL for the Zippy parts hook-up. Name dropping there opens the champagne room comps.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Giggles is just mad she lost the ***** of the year contest.

Post ***** of the year that is;-)

<sorry giggles and ed>

Quick Reply: Tell me about DC NVA area - Favorite Mechanics, GTG's, Clubs, etc