Opportunity to buy a 1989 80 Quattro for my son that is flawless...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2000, 05:34 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opportunity to buy a 1989 80 Quattro for my son that is flawless...

as far as I can tell. Has 74k original miles, one owner. All service/maintenance records intact. EVERY service performed at the dealer car was purchased from. Averaged less than 7k miles per year since purchased by a mid-50's woman who is now in her 60's.

Under hood visual is perfect and not high-pressure sprayed to make it appear so. All hoses etc stamped w/Audi/VW logos. Nary a parking lot ding ANYWHERE. No windshield chips. Interior is spotless and perfect with not even a "wear" patch on the drivers seat bolster from getting in/out of. Car drives/brakes/shifts perfectly tho underpowered by my TT standards. Only thing I've spotted is air doesnt blow cold but that may just be due to need of a freon charge. Compressor is quiet and sounds mechanically intact when running AC... just doesnt blow cold.

Trunk looks like its NEVER had a thing carried in it and rubber pads on brake/clutch/accelerator are near "wearless." All door seals/rubber gaskets are perfect. Car was garaged its entire life. No oil leaks underneath it from front to rear bumper (I saw where its lived/parked for last 11 years).

Now the biggest question: Is this car in this condition worth $5500? Did these cars have any "known" wide-spread issues? Is there anything I should look for specifically on an 80 Quattro that I havent mentioned?

Sure it pales in comparison to my Y2K chipped/ coilover'd TT but is this a good bargain and likely to be a good driver in Denver, summer/winter for a 17 yr old kid?

Any/all help appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-02-2000, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it's worth the $! Low mileage and in mint condition, go for it.
Old 07-02-2000, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Opportunity to buy a 1989 80 Quattro for my son that is flawless...

One troublespot is the A/C. Take a real close look before you plunk down the cash.

I hope that the A/C compressor wasn't engaging when you checked it out. If it turns but doesn't blow cold you have a different problem all together. If it engages, that means there is plenty of freon and something else is wrong. More than likely expensive!!

First off be sure that the compressor spins by hand(it should not engage right now). Second, plan on having a leak that involves replacing a part or two!!

If you're comfortable with that.....go for it!!!
---
Andrew
90 80Q
91 90
95 90Q
Old 07-02-2000, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds sweet! Just make sure the timing belt was done...

...at 60K, or plan on having it done right away and deduct that from the cost. It's also a good idea to change the water pump with the timing belt. I use to change my plugs every 15K, but I think 30K is fine. Generally at that mileage, wear items will start to need replacing. Most notably, the suspension bushings don't last long and are probably about due. I would highly recommend having the car inspected by a good mechanic. Have the brake vaccuum pump and ABS sensors checked specifically, as well as general items. Plan on needing a new oxygen sensor soon, unless it's already been replaced.

Thing is, these cars are very reliable; atleast mine was. But, this one is just entering the mileage where regular maintenence becomes important, and there is no such thing as discount work on an Audi.

FWIW, my '89, 90Q was nearly perfect and had 110K miles on the clock. It had a $2500 stereo system, 16" Ronal R-28's, and a Scorpion exhaust system. Also, it had the all weather package, etc. All maintenence was done regualarly. There was a problem with the climate control, the clutch throwout bearing was starting to make noise sometimes, and a few other minor things that needed to be fixed, but my friend got the car for $5500 last fall, which I think was still a steal. Plus I ended up fixing the climate control, so he didn't have to pay anyone to do that.

Anyway, if it's in as great condition as you are saying, then $5500 is probably a pretty good price. I would probably buy it. There's not a day that goes by that I don't miss my 90Q. They're great cars, and you will have one very lucky 17 year old!

Oh, and I highly recommend the Scorpion exhaust system and the Ronal R-28's for the 80/90 series cars! :-)<p>Charles
2000 Nissan Xterra SE V6 4x4 (personal)
'98 A4 2.8 Q-Tip (business)