For pictures of modified TT's . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-1998, 09:37 AM
John P.

Default For pictures of modified TT's . . .

Visit:<br>www.vwsportusa.com/gallery/essen.htm<br>There you will find pictures of modified TT's, VW's, etc., from the Essen Auto Show. TT pictures start on page 2. <p>For those interested in my opinion (all 2 of you):<br>I'm not sure that the TT requires (or looks "right" with) body/wheel modifications. Don't get me wrong--I think appearance mods enhance some cars greatly. However, the lines of some cars do not seem to benefit from bodykits, spoilers, etc. I'm not a fan of bodykits on Porsche 911's, nor do I think anyone in their right mind would "modify" a Ferrari 355 (how could one make that car look any better?). Re: the Porsche 911--I don't recall seeing late-model 993's or 996's with aftermarket wheels that complement the car as much as the OEM 18 inchers. Whatever.<br>All told, the OEM flat-spoke 17 inchers (6-spoke) suit the TT best from what I've seen. Although I wish the TT wore more substantial rubber (OEM is 225/45/17), the engineers had trouble with wheel well clearance "as-is." If Audi offered 18's that carried the same flat-spoke theme, I'm sure I'd opt for them. <br>Have a look at the site and give me your thoughts. <p>Regards,<br>John
Old 12-15-1998, 09:09 AM
Todd

Default Re: For pictures of modified TT's . . .

I think the Projektzwo and Abt wheels look great. I agree with you about the body mods issue on the TT. I do however, think the cars sits to high in it's stock form, as almost all cars do. The only thing I can see as far as body modifications would be a trunklid spoiler. <p>I assume those were 18" Projektzwo and Abt wheels? What size rubber were the cars at the show wearing?
Old 12-15-1998, 07:17 PM
John P.

Default I think the Projektzwo's are 225/35/19! {nt}

NT
Old 12-16-1998, 04:40 AM
Todd

Default Oh My!

225 seems to be as wide is they can go on the TT? They must have pretty tight clearance. If so, that's kind of suprising because the fenders look really big to my eyes.<p>There may be an opportunity for Abt to make a "Cup" type body kit for the TT to allow wider "footwear".<br>A body kit that actually does something is always more desirable (and expensive!).<p>I am sure Projektzwo and Abt are just getting started on the TT. Did you guys get any future plans from either company?
Old 12-16-1998, 07:49 AM
John P.

Default Re: TT fender clearance & springs

I don't recall the source, but I've read that the clearance is such that Audi (or its spring manufacturer) rejects an abnormally high percentage of suspension springs due to the tight tolerances in the wheel wells. It seems that even a small amount of slackness in the spring can create wheel clearance problems.<br>Will this impact the "lowering" of the car? I think so.
Old 12-16-1998, 12:50 PM
Todd

Default Re: TT fender clearance & springs

That was in Automobile (or maybe Motor Trend) magazine I think. I read the same thing. That is really too bad. Especially for a car that puts so much visual stress on the wheels. I was hoping it was just because of the variation of their OEM spring supplier.<p>Well, you know me, a car can never have enough rubber, or too little ground clearance! I bought Adrian's Abt Jetta after all, and loved it!<p>Maybe I'll set my sights on a Turbo Beetle. You guys are always on the cutting edge, what do you know about those John? When do they become available? You guys probably already have one!