Motorcycles Discussion Discussion forum for our two-wheeled friends

2005 Ninja ZX-6R as a first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well...

...yes and no on the headlight. Just the lamp and housing is $315 after tax, and that doesn't include the brackets and hardware...and I'm pretty sure the connectors are different on the wiring harness. So you could do it...but it'd be a bitch.

That 06 books for $4950...so yes, $4000 is a steal. Honestly, I'd be wary of the price. That tells me something is most likely wrong. If you've got a buddy that's in to bikes and is somewhat knowledgable (i.e. can perform their own maintenance, etc.), go and check it out. Also, don't forget that the ergos are more sporty (read "uncomfortable") on the "S" models.

BTW, any time you want to check on a price for a motorcycle head over to Kelley Blue Blook (link below).<ul><li><a href="http://www.kbb.com/kbb/OtherVehicles/">Kelley Blue Book Motorcycle Values</a></li></ul>
Old 05-07-2008, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hmm, alright. thanks for all the info.

I'll let you know if this goes beyond the day dream stage.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default exactly what I would have reccomended, except i would have mentioned start on the dirt..............

if you do that and become very good, you can pretty much ride any bike for the street.

also, one thing to add to street bikes, alot of people pick bigger bikes first cuz they think they can handle them. truth is if you pick a big bike(1000cc) you dont ride them the same as a smaller bike(600cc). you end up going around turns lugigng the bike cuz it has mro epower and thats not the correct way. all inlines need to be wound up. some people are scared to ride like that but thats how there meant to be ridden

thing about riding in the dirt is you learn to control the bike when the rear end is swung out etc. this helps alot on the street.

when i use to build prep and test ride for a kawie yamaha dealer I had a few r1's and zx10's kick the back out on me with cold tires. the one mechanic saw it happen once and I saved it. he told me that my experience on the dirt had saved my *** from dropping a brand new bike.(countersteering) he still thinks I should have dropped it as the bike was kicked WAY out.

so if youve never ridden at all start on the dirt. that way if the front end or rear ever kicks out youll have a better chance of saving it. also you can learn how to watch out for people easier since its not the street, and if you crash on dirt its much easier on your body(sometimes) then hard asphalt!!
Old 05-08-2008, 05:59 AM

Np...my pleasure.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I keep getting tempted looking at sport bikes.

That SV disappeared off CL, but this Triumph Daytona showed up! KBB says $5115, this guy is selling it for $4300.<ul><li><a href="http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/mcy/672326451.html">http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/mcy/672326451.html</a></li></ul>
Old 05-08-2008, 06:29 AM

Default That's not a total screamer...but I still wouldn't recommend it. *edit*

AFAIK they were pretty cumbersome and uncomfortable in those years. Keep looking for SVs or Honda 599s. The Hondas are nakeds and look extremely similar to the SVs.

Also, don't listen to dry weights on bikes. His registration might say 363lbs but it's really around 420lbs with oil and fuel. "Dry weights" are the manufacturers weights based on the weight of the motorcyles parts before assembly.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If its the look of a sportbike that attracts you..

.. check out the new SV650S.. Its a fully faired SV650.. looks better than the non and half faired versions. Same great bike.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:51 AM

Default Ideally, yes...dirt is the place to start...

...but we don't know if he has the time, or the land, to start with dirtbikes. And being able to ride dirtbikes does not mean you can ride any bike on the street. On a dirtbike you lean the bike to turn and you remain upright which you shouldn't do on the street. On streetbikes you lean with the bike, and depending on speed, you should be leaning MORE than your bike or you're scraping bits on the asphalt and running the risk of catching a footpeg or washing out because your bike's lean angle is too much for the turn.

I agree on controlling rear wheel spin, though. And dirt will definitely help with that. Although, he shouldn't be spinning the rear for years...otherwise he should be taking it to the track. I owned a ZX-10R that dynoed 167HP to the rear wheel and I could spin it up on EVERY corner exit...and that is ridiculous for a streetbike. You're right, inline's should be wound to perform...and he shouldn't even be considering that right now. That's why an SV or something around the 70HP range is what he needs. Unless he's at the tire's very edge he shouldn't be able to break the rear loose even at redline.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:53 AM

Default Lol...yeah, you're confusing me, bro.

I thought you were more in to the naked bike look. He did mention that he didn't really like the look of the S models, though. Phaze is right, if you want a bike that looks like a sportbike, the fully faired S models look exactly like sportbikes.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hah, I'm torn. I'm turned off by GXR's, R1/6's, and the like, but I like Duc 748/999/etc.

Optimally, I would have a Duc Monster/Triumph Speed Triple and a 1098/KTM RC8.

I'll keep looking for a SV650 :-)

Quick Reply: 2005 Ninja ZX-6R as a first bike?