Motorcycles Discussion Discussion forum for our two-wheeled friends

Opinion/Suggestion or just tell me what you think about.........

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion/Suggestion or just tell me what you think about.........

I am slowly starting to look around for what i want to buy for next(current bike is Vulan 500) season, as i am outgrowing my motorcycle and learning more about as to what kind of riding i want to do.
given that we have a very versatile community here with sport bike riders, cruisers and sport touring bikes, i figure this is a perfect place to ask you all a question.
As i am looking around i am not sure if i want my next bike to be a cruiser i mean i still prefer cruiser styling, but in terms what kind of riding i want to do(longer riders, overnight rides) i am leaning towards possible something like sport touring bike or something like BMW R1200R, i very much like the BWM R1200C(they stoped making them in 2004), at first i was considering kawasaki vulcan 900LT due to affordable price of it, also looked at some star bikes like vstar 1100, but decided against it due to it being carburated, i want a fuel injected bike, harley is also a consideration it does have great after market support so you can pretty much make anything out of it and make as comfortable as you like for longer rides.
Things i am looking for in order of priority:
1. Long Distant comfort
2. Fuel injection and belt or shaft driven
3. I do like cruiser styling and loud pipes and all of that(its the kid in me who wants to play LOL)

Anything else i should consider?
Obviously a price will also play a big factor in all of this so as much as i might like something i might not be able to afford it, dont have a budget at the moment yet, but i am also not buying yet just looking around so i can narrow down.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:17 AM
BSK
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default here is my take

for LD riding and comfort most cruisers or sport tourers come into play. I've been looking and researching for a while now to see what fits my needs.

With around 1K miles a month commuting and then some "longer distance" rides every so often and tours once or twice a year the only thing that seems to fit me are sport tourers.

we are talking about:

BMW RT's
BMW K12's (not so much for touring)
Yamaha FJR1300's
Honda ST1300's (nearly perfect)
Kawasaki Concours 14's

The BMW's are nice and I wouldnt mind staying with them but the high rate of Final Drive failures is scary and getting stranded on the road with overengineered stuff isnt appealing.

The Yamaha FJ's are awesome but the electrical shift is more stuff to break and the non electric shift come in one color only.

The Honda has been around for ever, is reliable and has tons of aftermarket options available is literally LD ready.

The Kawasaki is nice but the reviews on it were bad for midrange torque (what i would need in the mountains) and the crazy electrical perimeter sensored ignition lock issues and the low cheap price with cheap assembly are kicking that out.

I could write a whole lot more, everyone else can write even more and agree disagree with me.
BUT: what it comes down to is YOU! Everyone is different in terms of what they need, want, expect and comforts of a bike so your evaluation of bikes will be totally different than anyone elses.

There is NO perfect bike that fits everyone.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

thanks you for taking the time to reply
Old 08-31-2008, 11:29 AM
BSK
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot to add: If the bike doesnt have ABS its out of the equation for me as well
Old 08-31-2008, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yes agree and will add it to my list
Old 08-31-2008, 05:49 PM

Default Take some BMWs for test rides, since you're interested in them.

See what fits you the best.

Alas, most other marques don't allow test rides, except with demo fleets at events such as Americade.

I happen not to be a fan of cruisers. The seating position makes my lower back hurt really bad. I also don't like the compromises generally associated with them: less lean angle, etc.

I happen to like sport-tourers a lot. I own one sport-tourer, one classic, and one adventure-tourer. But it doesn't really matter what I like -- what matters is what *you* like. So go take some bikes for test rides.

Oh, yes, come up with a budget. I can recommend, say, a BMW K1200GT until I'm blue in the face, but if you can't afford the $20K+ for it, my recommendation won't do you much good.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ignoring half of #2 on your requirement list...id suggest a Suzuki Bandit 1250 or VStrom 1000.

If im not mistaken both come with optional ABS and fitted for LD touring.

I dont have much experience with touring bikes other than my ('97) Bandit 1200. But man, its comfy, reliable, tested and true, and i jsut fell in LOVE with the driveability of this bike. Ive heard the 1250 (now liquid cooled) curves off the torque and gives it its full grunt at like 3,500 RPMS.

I'm 6'5" and it fits perfectly. One of the few im comfy on.

It IS a chain drive still as far as i remember.

I know a good handful of folk who prefer Bandit over the FJR and the Kawi.

The V-Strom sits much taller...almost has a motocross feel to it.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:14 AM

Default I had a BMW R1100 R for about a year. At the same time my dad had an FJR 1300.

Both great machines, but his new Road Star 1700 shames them both when it comes to comfort.

He added bar risers and a mustang seat with backrest. Combined with the floor boards, that combo makes long distance cruising a breeze. I also installed a set of drag pipes for him which sound great, but the tend to drag on tight right handers- especially if you have a passenger. IMO, the stock pipes with the baffles cut out were perfect.

The VStrom mentioned is also a very, very comfortable bike.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:15 AM

I agree 100%. Unfortunately, cruisers don't offer that option.