Motorcycles Discussion Discussion forum for our two-wheeled friends

Uninsured motorist/underinsured (UN/UIM) motorist coverage is the most important coverage

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uninsured motorist/underinsured (UN/UIM) motorist coverage is the most important coverage

a motorcyclist can buy.

Agree?
Old 06-20-2008, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Speaking of insurance, who should I get as a carrier? Just bought my first bike

I called state farm, who insures my cars and they quoted me $287/yr for basic 25/50/25. They told me they are high and to shop around because my multi-car discount doesn't apply to motorcycles.

Skip collision/comp on this bike? It's an '05 sv650 with 19k. I paid $3k for it. But it is my first bike, so I dunno...
Old 06-20-2008, 12:15 PM
BSK
AudiWorld Super User

Default call progressive they are super cheap

and faily good (i assume. never had a claim)
Old 06-20-2008, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nah. If they don't have insurance...

...you can sue them for damages. Although, if they don't have insurance they probably don't have a lot of money, so you're screwed either way. I'd say a lot of coverage on your medical is more imporant because then you're covered no matter what. If you're talking about bike damage, then collision is obviously more important.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:29 PM

Default AHHHHHHHHHHH!! NOES!!!! Wait, what state are you in?

Progressive is horrible for service. We have people come in to pick up new bikes and they're carrying Progressive insurance and their ID cards are NEVER correct. I mean NEVER. The date is always for the next day, or their name is mispelled, or the VIN is wrong...just everything. We actually had a customer come in to pick up a new bike and he was transferring a plate off his trade-in. In NY, you have to have a "Replacement Vehicle" notation on your insurance card or DMV won't process it (it's a $57.75 fee instead of $71.50). So of course his card doesn't have the notation, which means he can't take his bike home. He calls Progressive and proceeds to instruct them to add the notation. They say, "No. We can't do that and never would.". And we were sitting two feet away with a card that we had received from Progressive on another customer's machine that HAD the notation...and we had gotten 15 MINUTES prior! End of the story is Progressive would not add the notation and he had to come up with the extra cash for the new plate. He was NOT happy.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:32 PM

State Farm is normally very competitive with rates
Old 06-20-2008, 12:35 PM

Default I insure all my vehicles through State Farm.

I've never found them to be a large amount more expensive than anyone else. In fact, around here they're usually around the second or third (if not first) cheapest. We sell insurance here and have actually sent people over to SF because we know they'll do better.

On a $3000 bike, I wouldn't bother with collision. Almost ANY amount of damage and they will total your bike anyway. There's not a lot of expensive bodywork on it, so IMO, it's not worth it. I WOULD put comp on it however, in case someone steals it, or you hit a deer/elephant, or something terrible like that...and you're still covered. And it's cheaper. That's just my opinion, though.

Wait, is that $287 for just liabilty or comp/collision??
Old 06-20-2008, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Beyond medical bills, UN/UIM also takes care of loss of wages, earning capacity, and pain and suffer

I guess that's it.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default $287 just for liability at the minimum levels. What level would you recommend going to?

max is 1mil/1mil/1mil for twice the cost of 25/50/25
Old 06-20-2008, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The agent said to me "We're usually really high for motorcycles, you should shop around"

Quick Reply: Uninsured motorist/underinsured (UN/UIM) motorist coverage is the most important coverage