Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Any place to go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any place to go?

I just bought an RS6, and it is wonderful. Obviously living in NJ there are not many places where I can really explore its handling vs. my limitations as a driver. I would like to learn how to handle the car properly if for no other reason than to be a safer driver on the road? Any thoughts?

I called "The Audi Drving Experience (AKA Panoz school) and they have several 2 day driver training events. The problem I see is that they use 1.8 front wheel drive A4's. The guy I talked to said it would handle exactly as mine would under the same circumstances. I am skeptical-different suspensions, different transmissions and engines, Quattro vs. FWD.

Let me know what you think especially if you have attended one of these programs.

thanks
Old 08-11-2003, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey Helper

I think thats a good idea. But you might want to use a quattro A4 1.8T if you are really after the limits. I think it will be similar enough to your RS6 to get an idea on how to drive a quattro on the track. Wouldn't want to see anyone messup with an RS6 (450 ponies and 4200 lbs can get someone into trouble real quick).

If you haven't been on track before, taking a 90,000 dollar car out there might be a big mistake. (taking a 90,000 dollar car on track is questionable in any situation).

Could you handle wrecking your RS6? (dread the thought, but it could happen). This guy wrecked his Lamborghini. Ouch.

BTW, awesome car. How do you like it?<ul><li><a href="http://members.roadfly.com/brown1706/DrivingLessons.htm">http://members.roadfly.com/brown1706/DrivingLessons.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 08-11-2003, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Hey Helper

That's why I am looking for some "driver education" rather than track racing lessons. I almost did it when I owned a Porsche but decided not to at the last minute. Your point is well taken however, and I would not hit(if you will pardon the expression) the track without an experienced teacher up front.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think that Lambo wreck was at a DE event. Non-racing..

Then, my next suggestion is to pick a location that is very safe with hugh smooth grass run off areas.

Concrete walls and turf toe ruts could run an otherwise great weekend.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:17 AM

Default HPDE

You have the right idea.
I highly recommend NASA (www.nasaproracing.com). They put on Driver Education events at most of their race weekends, for beginners to experts. They do their best to match up instructors with students who have similiar type vehicles (fwd, awd). Most of the instructors I have had were racers or retired racers (one drove a Porsche Cup 911). I've not had a bad one yet.
You will not learn it all in one weekend, but you will have a lot of fun. I'd say after a half-dozen events you will really be comfortable with your car. These events are not about finding the limits, but learning car control and track etiquette.
For a NJ resident you'd probably find Summit Point is your closest venue. I don't recall NASA going to Pocono (which I don't care much for anyway). They also do Lime Rock in CT.
Risk to your car is minimal, mostly controlled by you and an instructor that will remove you from the track if you act like an idiot. There is always risk, of course, but far better to be in an environment with traffic all going one direction, huge runoff areas and safety personnel on hand. Also, many insurers will cover your car during these schools because it's an educational event, not a timed competition event.
Audi Club of America does some also but they are far fewer, more expensive and I have no actual feedback to give you.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default HERE

Events all around the US where you drive your own car.

E-mail me w/questions:

jon (at) audiclubna (dot) org<ul><li><a href="http://audiclubna.org/event/calendar.shtml">Audi Club North America</a></li></ul>
Old 08-12-2003, 09:26 AM

Default I've heard really, really bad things about NASA events on the east coast.

Poor instruction, early signoff of near-novices, poor organization. Lots of incidents.

Never been to one, but people I know and respect have been so turned off that they won't go back.

If you're on the east coast, I would stick with BMW, Audi, or Porsche club events. COM (in new england) also has excellent instruction, and is really well run.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I have taught for NASA NorCal and NASA SoCal

A little bit on the loose side of the bell shaped curve of safety..but otherwise ok. Group 3 can be scary out here...people "think" they know how to drive and can pass almost everywhere. Group 4 is much better. Group 1-2 are kinda boring.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:50 AM

Default west coast org may be different from east, and again, I've never been myself.

so grains of salt, as usual