Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

BFG G-Force R1 vs Yokohama AO32R

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-1999, 02:14 PM
Amro

Default BFG G-Force R1 vs Yokohama AO32R

Hi all,<p>I'm trying to decide between BFG's and Yoko's. I'll be putting 225/50's on my stock wheels for the race track. The BFG's from Discount Tire are $185 and the Yoko's are $148. If the BFG's are better, can an amateur driver who's been on the race track once before tell the difference.<p>Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.<p>Thanks <br>Amro
Old 01-17-1999, 08:45 PM
Steve S.

Default Comment from the peanut gallery

What are you going to mainly use them for...any how many of each events?<p>The BFG g-force R1 is mainly an autocross tire, the Y032R is a track tire. I <br>used my "just bought" R1s on Saturday (the only day that was consistently<br>dry this weekend). In a word...they were awesome. BUT.....and this is a <br>BIG BUT....I got alot of wear with only two runs of 20-25 minutes each. I<br>now want to save them for autocross events also. A friend out here had<br>told me that he thought that an autocross event is about equal to one day<br>on the track (4-5 20-25 minute sessions). I think that the track event<br>would be tougher on the R1s. <p>If you plan to do many track events I would opt for the Y032Rs. Alot of<br>folks at the track seemed to have them. A bunch of other folks were<br>running on slicks....weeeeeeeeee...that musta been fun when it rained.<p>You will not believe the difference in how they handle at the track...talk<br>about BIG GRINS...I had one.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 01-18-1999, 01:53 PM
Amro

Default Re: Comment from the peanut gallery

Thanks for the reply Steve.<p>I already ordered the BFG's and will see how those go.<p>The track at Texas World Speedway is defined as a race circuit with 14 turns of varying degrees on 2.9 miles of track. I've only done it once on my stock SP8000's. I doubt I'm good enough to tell the difference between the two. We get about 4 runs per day for 2 days. Roughly 100 miles per day. I'm hoping to get several weekends of this type of driving out of the tire. I just don't know.<p>Thanks again,<br>Amro
Old 01-18-1999, 02:29 PM
Steve S.

Default You will tell the difference

Besides...you can now stay up with JayP, Warren ****, and DonP. You will<br>definitely feel the difference with these tires....trust me.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 01-19-1999, 12:00 PM
Todd W

Default What about me?

<br>If I could just afford track tires...and coilovers, and big reds, and a new turbo, 5 point harness, and a few more years of track events...hey, I can dream can't I? I'm signed up with the UrQ, but Warren won't be making it. I'll let him fill you in.<p>Todd W
Old 01-21-1999, 05:26 PM
Steve S.

Default I was playing with a UrQ this last weekend

A couple of the UrQs were pretty damn fast..and then a few more were about<br>even with me....I was slightly better in the turns...and they took me in the<br>straights. One white one, with 2-3 off track excursions, was pretty insane.<p><br>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 01-21-1999, 05:42 PM
Todd W

Default I wonder how they were set up

As for off road excursions, it is a rally car <p>Mine is getting attention to the tires& suspension first, then brakes (currently stock, but new), and then I'll start spending money on power. It's pretty slow everywhere at the moment, but it will get AVS Intermediates and new suspension mounts&bushings in time for TWS mid-March. I may put a $12 adjustable pressure regulator on the WG to bring the boost back up to factory specs, but that's it. I'd love a cam, but $6-800 is too steep for me right now.<p>A4's are great in the corners, but a properly sorted UrQ should put it to shame (I'm obviously assuming the UrQ has way more mods than the A4, which is often but not always the case). Of course, you did have those R1's...<p>Todd W