Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Rest In Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree 100%
Old 08-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Rest In Peace

Default You're missing the correct comparison between street & track.

Take the same (geometric) corner on the street and on the track. Take the same car & driver going through both corners at the same rate of speed, same line, same turn-in, same everything. When the driver exceeds the limit and flies off the corner, that's where the differences start. On the street, there is a high likelihood of an impact with a large fixed object and very little runoff room. Emergency assistance only comes once they've been notified, and it's rare that they're standing by in the vicinity waiting for something to happen. On the track, there is usually runoff room, sometimes gravel traps, and tire walls. Corner workers are within sight distance to summon the ambulance, who is no more than a minute or so away. Don't forget about the helmet being worn by the driver on the track. Given the exact same situation, it's far more likely that the occupant of the car that was on the track will come out better than the occupant of the car that was on the street.

All this accidents per mile crap is just that: crap, because highway stats include miles spent sitting in stop-and-go traffic during rush hour, where it's highly unlikely that someone is going to careen off the road at 60 mph. You can only compare similar driving for it to be meaningful. Narrow the comparison down to accidents per on open country road, where the driving is closer to being in the same ballpark, and it's easy to see why it's "safer on the track."
Old 08-23-2005, 08:35 AM

Default That's a fool's comparison, IMO

I think we can all agree that an HPDE is safer than driving a car at (or very close to) the limit on the streets. Of course, driving that way on the street is so obviously dangerous and irresponsible that you'll get arrested and likely get your license revoked if you're caught doing it more than once. Saying an HPDE is safe in comparision to total hooligan behavior really isn't saying very much.

I'm one of those guys who voted with my feet on this issue - after about a dozen HPDE days I was out looking for a car with a full race legal safety set up.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:28 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Anything else is apples-to-oranges. You may not think it's a good idea to drive crazy on the street

but plenty of people do it (not me). They'd be safer on the track.