Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Dumb helmet question for AutoX...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-1998, 03:52 PM
Dank

Default Dumb helmet question for AutoX...

OK, the autoX at the colliseum says it requires a "Snell '85 or later ONLY" helmet. Now, does this '85 mean the year it was made or some other standard? I have access to a helmet that says Snell all over it, but never associated with a number. Anyone know?<br>
Old 10-02-1998, 04:20 PM
Steve S.

Loosely translated Snell 85 means up to 1985 standards (I think the real explanation is more complicated)-nt
Old 10-02-1998, 06:18 PM
John/TSR

Default Look inside, at the lable on the liner

There should be a "Snell" logo, with a larger number superimposed beneath it ("superimposed beneath it" ??? Boy, I should be a lawyer or run for President with an oxymoron like that) on the inside liner of the helmet. You might have to pull some of the lining stuff out of the way to read it, but it should be there.<p>If the helmet is soooooo old that it doesn't have Snell "year" rating, it's too old. Anything past '85 has the proper Snell logo. <p>The Junior Vice President for helmet checking will look for the correct logo, and without it, you're up "Merde Creek" (I hope your impressed that I can speak French...)<p>If it's an SCCA Auto-X, most SCCA Regions have a pool of loaner helmets for those without the required headwear. Just don't think those four little letters - L-I-C-E.<p>My, oh my. Haven't I made your day better ?<p>John<br>Trained Seals Pest Control
Old 10-02-1998, 08:25 PM
Dank

Default Doh! What a moron I am...

I kept looking for a small number written on the thing, not some massive number covering the whole sticker. Probably would have never found it if I didn't go to the snell website and look at the picture of the stickers.... Now I just feel dumb :-) At least the M-90 helmet I have is white-on-light-grey, so its not that bad, but still. See ya all there tomorrow!<ul><li><a href="http://www.smf.org/cert.html">Snell Sticker Images</a></li></ul>
Old 10-03-1998, 11:00 PM
Warren

Default Re: Look inside, at the lable on the liner

Is that what those little white moving things were in Steve's helmet... <p>Warren<p>PS don't worry Steve...I think I drove poorly enough to scare 'em out :P