Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Ecclestone has said a US race was not vital to F1......what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baloney.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:46 PM

Most likely....as well as a Toyota Hybrid ;-)
Old 06-18-2007, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL. <Wins free test drive with "Banzai Sato.>
Old 06-18-2007, 06:49 PM

Default I'd say he's correct.

I was at the track this weekend and there wasn't much interest in the USGP. There was talk about LeMans, Nascar...even heard a blurb or two about IRL but few cared about F1. I was at the APR display watching live coverage of the USGP with one other dude at most and usually nobody else.

Mercedes wouldn't sell one less car in the US if there were no USGP and they're leading the constructors and driver's chamionship.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:52 PM

Default More than a half a decade ago he would lead a Kamikaze squad for sure ;-)

He has the spirit but lacks a tiny bit of judgment, sometimes IMHO....
Old 06-18-2007, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default And where does the "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" analogy come into play with the IRL?

I don't think it has a whole lot of relevance outside of NASCAR. How many people buy Audi's because of the R10?
Old 06-18-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: I'd say he's correct.

Just got back last night from Indy as well and I think it's the distance to the teams and drivers that will take away attraction for the crowd. Even though the guys from Speed TV tried to pull of something good on Thursday to get people closer to F1, the overall effect is still lacking the flair of any other racing series in the US. I just hope some channel will buy the rights and continue showing it on TV.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Lack of successful US drivers ! Not everyone follow the races>

When I moved here in 88, it was a PITA. I watched them on Canadian TV. ESPN picked up at some odd hours.

Manufacturers sell more in US than their home market (Forget Renault). Bernie talks a lot of trash. He may have another US City in the plans. I like the US GP. It's one of my favorites.

I wish someone had some real numbers at to how many watch F1 here. For all the shout out to the fans from Speed Tv, I am always amazed at how many folks get up ealier than I do in some god knows what town in some lost state to watch it live.

F1 rules
Old 06-18-2007, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have got to this this! Peugeot still has an office in NJ with folks and cars there

FYI : A good pal of mine was Renault number 1 man in the US (yearrrrrrrrsssss ago). The Palisades parkway was there favorite speed demo fro test drive. Obviously wayyyyyy backkkk in the daysssss
Old 06-18-2007, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You honestly think the facilities at Miller are F1 level? Gravel parking lots, a control tower

that blocks turn one, not nearly enough hospitality/suites, etc.

Miller was a huge disappointment to us. Dusty, flat, no fast "*****" turns (right out of Ron Fellows mouth), etc.

Barber walks all over it as a facility, so does Watkins, and Infineon. Tremblant, Road America, Mid Ohio, VIR, Laguna and others walk on Miller in track quality alone.

Miller has a very nice facility, but it's far from F1 nice. Have you been to Hockenheim? Nurburgring? Monza? Spa? Catalunya?

Miller is literally a gokart track compared to the above. Miller is an 8.0 out of 10.

Mike S

Quick Reply: Ecclestone has said a US race was not vital to F1......what do you guys think?