Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

First auto-x of the season

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2000, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First auto-x of the season

Kudos to Jon Linkov and the local PCA chapter for letting in Quattro Club members to an otherwise private auto-x. I hit the track last weekend, but it's been months since I auto-x'ed. I forgot how hard it is to get a good time at an auto-x. On the track, you have plenty of laps, so one bad lap doesn't mean that much. At an auto-x, you get to walk the course once or twice, and then you're thrown into a sea of cones. You gotta learn quickly!

This course was actually very well laid out, and probably was one of the easiest to read courses I've been on, err, despite the fact that I OC'ed twice out of five runs... I think the official FTD was like 38.800. My best time was 42 and change. Blech. The equipment and course was laid out by Autocrossers Inc. They're all pro auto-x'ers. Every one of them ran times well below the FTD. A lady in her RX-7 ran 38.2 with a passenger, and a well driven and very well setup late 80's camaro ripped out a 36.9. Yikes!

My passenger side front tire is pretty damn toasty. You know those triangle wear markers on the edge of the RE040's? I don't have them anymore... My outside block of tread is pretty much gone too. It's smooth now. Time to get the fullsize spare. That airfield surface was like a cheesegrater! I had more wear out there in less than 5 minutes than I did running around Summit Point for 150 miles. On the upside, I think I've got most of the crud off my rotors. I had Pagid pad material fused to the rotor :P They're a little warped, but it's getting better.

Warren
Old 03-26-2000, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warren you might want to raise the tire pressure a little more-->

what kind of pressure are you running now? There's one in Englishtown next week. Huge corse!! How's the 040 performed??
Old 03-27-2000, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 44F/45R

They performed great at the track, but I just couldn't get them to do what I wanted at this auto-x. I couldn't get the rear end around quick enough, and the car was plowing through a fair number of turns. I should have blown up the rears some more.

Warren