Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Flip at Limerock

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2000, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flip at Limerock

This is a video from an Impreza at Limerock. Light rollover, but look how much the roof collapses! I'm glad my bitched up Type R is gonna have a cage in it after I get it repaired (yes, I'll fix it!).

John, re: Type R. Found a body shop that I'm gonna use. Got inside connections to the shop, and someone's gonna take a peek at the car next week. I'm sure I'll be calling you again about it. I need a devil on one of my shoulders after all.

I think I'm going with the custom weld in cage, with your advice of stripping headliner and having it crammed against the skin of the car. btw- Do I need to get the same seat on the passenger side (stock one is still straight on that side)?

Warren<ul><li><a href="http://12.5.162.60/images/thecrash.mpeg">The Crash</a></li></ul>
Old 09-08-2000, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default What did he do wrong?Lift throttle while coming in too hot?

Scary how easy the roof came in , makes me want a roll cage in the S4 .
Old 09-09-2000, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: What did he do wrong?Lift throttle while coming in too hot?

Yeah, you can hear him lift the throttle, and never really get back on it. Also, he comes in way too hot. He doesn't countersteer anywhere near quick enough either. A few instructors from a Bimmer list also say he apexed early. If you look at the first few turns, he's already kinda fighting the car on the way out.

I need to install a camcorder in my Type R next year. I want to see what my handspeed/reactions are like. I may end up being disappointed, but at least the camera won't lie.

Again, look at how squishy the top is!

Warren
Old 09-09-2000, 05:14 AM
SKS

Yea ...and that was a slow roll.
Old 09-09-2000, 08:48 PM

Default Look at several things as you watch the last part of it

First off, his approach. Take note of how quickly he's overtaking the car in front of him. Also, note how he is NOT lined up for the turn, and has to "force" the apex - he may have been able to carry that speed with just some sliding if he had taken a good line. He totally overdrove the car.

Once the tires broke loose, his options were fairly limited. He could have countersteered earlier and slammed on the gas, but the best thing would have been to avoid putting himself in that situation to begin with.

To me, I'd say he got caught up in catching that old porsche in front of him, didn't set up for the corner right (too busy watching the car in front of him not the track), went in WAY too hot, TOTALLY wrong line (which made his fast entry THAT much worse), did not correct in time, took the wrong corrective steps, and paid the price.

As you see, you have to do several things wrong to be put in a situation like this.

So anyway, wait for my post where I get to explain how 2 days after this post I went and rolled my car at a track

At least if Murphy has anything to say about it that is.

Alex.
Old 09-09-2000, 08:49 PM

Default So seriously, what are the cage options on the audis?

I mean yeah, he screwed up. But it's not like it's that hard to do, and that was a pretty mild crash.

What are our choices?
Old 09-09-2000, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've asked about cages, seems like one off is best option.

Safety Devices can make one. Stable Energies can get them for you.

Stable EnergieS
175 Passaic St.
Garfield, NJ 07026
Phone 973-773-3177
Fax 973-773-3178

Does someone else make a cage? I am sure I don't know much about this arena.<p>99.5 1.8Tqms Laser Red
97 Jetta ]I[ 2.0 GL Gold
88 ZX-10 Red/Black<ul><li><a href="http://www.stable-energies.com">Stable Energies</a></li></ul>
Old 09-09-2000, 09:19 PM

What car was the guy driving?
Old 09-09-2000, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Lots of options

There's the Smith boltin rollbar, which you can ask either APR or Scott Smith (SKS) about, or you'll have to find a guy to custom weld you one. A custom one should run about 700-900 bones. A basic cage would run for more. I suggest hunting down some local race oriented shops and checking with them. They should be able to point you towards a local cage fabricator.

Warren
Old 09-10-2000, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Impreza

Quick Reply: Flip at Limerock