Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Found a couple of magazines in my mailbox yesterday. European Car Feb 2000 talks about gearing up

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2000, 07:08 PM
Audiboy

Default Found a couple of magazines in my mailbox yesterday. European Car Feb 2000 talks about gearing up

for safe racing. The have a features Solo2 bimmer by Try Point Engineering. As well as featuring other AutoX and road race car set ups. There's also a section about safety equipment buying guide such as harnesses, shoes, race wear, helmets etc. This mag provides lots of good info for racing fanatics and beginners - like me :-)

Another magazine I got was Audi Magazine featuring the TT and the TT roadster (December '99) Hmmm has my postman been reading my mail again? Comes with this 6 page centerfold poster. Cool! Along with it is a Road and Track insert (Guide to the TT). I remember someone posting about this insert a while back.
Well, it seems after reading this insert, my questions are answered about the TT quattro. The Haldex is built on the rear differential aft of the drive shaft. It will begin to transfer torque (or the multiplate clutch sitting in an oil bath are force to contact each other with slowly increasing oil pressure) when the input shaft (drive shaft) and output shaft (differential side) sense a difference in rotation (i.e front wheels HARD linked to this drive shaft start to slip. At a mere 45 degrees so it's pretty responsive. But this means the front wheels have to slip first because they are hard linked to the driveline, etc.
Which just means just what I was curious about. Unlike a mechanical sure footed Torsen or viscous coupling, the TTQ is a front wheel drive most of the time on paved roads (i.e. road racing). Even when entering or exiting turns, power is mainly from the front wheels - understeer, and most likely the rears will not power the car out unless the car has already passed the stage of heavy understeer when the front axle is tracking a larger radius than the rear, and by the time the car goes back in line again, the fronts will take over.
It's too bad they cannot build the haldex in the front axle such as a Lambo diablo VT (well not a haldex but nominally rear wheel drive and maximum 20% front torque transfer). But in anycase, looking at the mechanicals of this TTQ, It is basically a 100:0 linearly down to 50:50 ratio when the going gets rough. On the road as in AutoX - and road course, looks like a FrontTrak TT may have the edge due to it's lighter weight. On ice racing, rain or snow, or dirt, the TTQ will be fun though, although I'd rather try out a WRX with selectable torque transfer in dirt.

Now where is that sport compact car and Motor Trend I just got Friday. hmmm I need a magazine rack :-)
Old 01-24-2000, 07:05 AM
ErikR

Default Dirty secret...

I've had two ugly attacks from newbies on the ttq and the VW haldex. Ugly, because they were misinformed and took it personally. So much hype and emotional hysteria about quattro and awd in general.

Yes, it is the dirty secret that the haldex design and ratios makes this car just a very heavy FWD car. You would be far better off in the FWD, unless you live in an ice state or hate snow tires (hard to believe but apparently common).

I am a huge fan of awd and quattro, but I will be the first to say that they are all NOT created equal. Nor, are they more important than driving skill and appropriate tires. The ttq is the same deal as the automatic sube, a fine design, but by no means a performance design.
Old 01-24-2000, 09:27 AM
Audiboy

Default But I want that 225hp engine in a Roadster. Oh well, I guess I'll live with the Quattro it's..

bolted to, and I'll just continue playing with my A4 for track events, while having fun with the cabrio in the sun not worrying about what Quattro system it has.
Old 01-24-2000, 11:12 AM
Chicago Joe

Default I sure hope Audi doesn't use Haldex in the new A4/A6/Passat

That would be a real drag. I'd hate to lose 50/50 AWD.
Old 01-24-2000, 11:55 AM
ErikR

Transverse engine only so far.
Old 01-24-2000, 11:57 AM
ErikR

Default Ya know, for what? 3k? difference...

You can buy a pretty nice 300 hp motor.
Old 01-24-2000, 03:55 PM
Bob

Default Discussion on this topic on A4 Forum

Bob
96 A4QM
86 4KCSQM<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/a4/212965.phtml">Quattro IV, Torsen, EDL and Haldex</a></li></ul>
Old 01-24-2000, 06:22 PM
Audiboy

Default Hmmm, but I like those twin exhaust tips ;-)

Maybe just maybe i'll just get the front trak roadster now. Either way, I want a roadster (for looks) Not a good car to go skiing with anyway - anybody have roof racks for it - just kidding.
Old 01-26-2000, 10:30 AM
J. Daniel

Default No wonder you had some attacks from newbies.....

They are such a unknowledgeable group! Just because they're newbies! Not any other reason!
Hey! ErikR! Since you're so defensive I went back and did a search on "haldex + ErikR"! Guess what! My! How the voice of experience and knowledge has changed over the months!
I'd like the opportunity to post quotes from your previous posts.
Please respond to make it worth my while.
Old 01-28-2000, 07:44 AM
ErikR

Default There are newbies and there are newbies ;)...Haldex repost

You din't provide an email so I'll post this publically. My rant against the newbies was overdone. I get tired of reposting what have been some really good discussions, because the newbies can't seem to figure out how to use the fine archives.

If you want to flame me over the haldex postings, go right ahead. I'm sure anything can be taken out of context, so I would only ask that you post the whole quotation.

I think that you will find, looking at the postings chronologically, that my stance on haldex really has not varied. What has changed is VW's application of Haldex.

1. VW initially indicated that haldex was going to be fully active. This would be great and I would really like this particularly if I had some control over the ratio biasing. Failing that, I still prefer the torsen due to it's known reliability and 50:50 split.

2. VW now says that it will do the 90:10 (F:R) split with some minor active component (undisclosed), and some speculation as to using a single axle version of edl.

3. 90:10 is the same as Sube autos and some old synchro designs. This is just a marketing tool to claim AWD, and is primarily useful to get started on snow and ice. I do not care for this personally and believe that a FWD varaint would be a better performance choice due to its lighter weight and predictability.

4. If haldex was produced in a 50:50 split it would perform comparably to the quattro IV (if it had edl), but has some known reliability issues and the real limitation of (wet) plate wear over the life of the car.

5. Active AWD is the future for passenger cars and has been proven in rally. The haldex has the potential to be active, but has been dumbed down apparently by vw (and Audi). The next generation of haldex may resolve the durability issues and have a true active design (probably with some form of stability/yaw control integrated into it).

Quick Reply: Found a couple of magazines in my mailbox yesterday. European Car Feb 2000 talks about gearing up