Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Has anyone AutoX'd their S4 yet? What Class did they put you in? AS or GS???

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-1999, 09:00 AM
Mike Zamarocy

Has anyone AutoX'd their S4 yet? What Class did they put you in? AS or GS???
Old 10-12-1999, 02:57 PM
Bob P

Default AutoX Impressions

I had a chance to auotx my S4 this past weekend. It was not an SCCA event however. The club I autocrossed with put it in a class with the M3's (their equvalent of AS in SCCA). I previously owned a '95 M3 and had a chance to race a friends M3 immediately after running my S4. My S4 was completely stock including tires and the M3 I drove was stock except for a set of RE71 Bridgestone tires. The S4 is plagued by understeer. Although the S4 accelerated slightly better then the M3, the balance of the M3 allowed me to rotate the car by lifting of the throttle mid turn, thereby allowing the power to be applied sooner exiting the corner. The S4 understeered even while braking in the corner, which meant I had to wait to apply throttle (lest I get even more understeer). For the record, I was .5 seconds faster in the M3 on a 60 second course, and felt I could have been at least another .5 sec. faster with another run in the M3. Subjectively the S4 felt very ponderous and lethargic compared to the M3. If the SCCA puts the S4 in AS we are going to have a serious uphill battle trying to counteract that understeer and the 400-500 pound weight penalty. Maybe some drastic rear toe-out (unrealistic for the street) would help balance the car, but I'm not sure I want to adjust it every time I autocross. Heres to hoping for placement in GS or even FS against the piggy Firebirds and Camaros.
Old 10-13-1999, 08:20 PM
Dave

Default Re: AutoX Impressions

I also auto crossed my S4 a weekend or so ago, and did Alignment, Exhaust, and Air Filter, and still experienced the horrible push. I have another event in 2 weeks, and will make some minor adjustments and see if I can get rid of the push (ya right!)
Dave
Old 10-13-1999, 09:06 PM
Mike Zamarocy

Default Re: AutoX Impressions

Boy guys, even after the work you did Dave (alignment specificaly), and it still plowed - makes me worry. Did either of you try any radical air pressures? I have finally gotten my FWD A4 to be a bit less of a pusher by using 42psi in front, and 55psi in the rear.

It really sounds as if the M3 is still the king for track and AutoX, and that the S4 is better at hard "SPORT" driving on regular roads where comfort on long trips is the preferred mode.
Old 10-15-1999, 06:09 AM
Rodney

Default What's the weight distribution on the S4?

Until they get it down to 50/50 or real close it is not going to handle as well as a more balanced car like an M3, 944, 968, etc. This is one of my few gripes with the A4/S4 cars, that and the pedal setup. Oh, well nothing's perfect.

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 10-20-1999, 08:51 AM
Steve S.

What about trying a 22mm rear Neuspeed sway bar...and increasing air pressure?