Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Help me balance my car, please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-1998, 11:57 AM
Cathleen

Default Save us all....

Great! Now all the panic-stop, horrible drivers are going to be causing accidents all over the place when their cheap Radars go 'instant-on'.<br>Around here, people are so dumb they SLAM on the brakes if the see or "hear" a cop, even if they're only doing 5mph over!<br>Where do you guys live again? I hope it's not anywhere near Michigan. <br>-C.
Old 10-08-1998, 12:12 PM
Cathleen

Default John/TSR: I have a question....

John, I'm curious as to what your opinion is about what some SCCA racers, club racers and Q-listers have to say about cornering (specifically in a track setting) and that when you have a really stiff bar(s) you can lift inside wheels right off the ground during cornering/apexing. The opinion being that without full contact of all four wheels; it is not good. What is your feeling on this and why?<br>I am open to all info. Thanks! -Cathleen <br>P.S. - I do QCUSA events and have Eibach Springs with Konis that are custom-valved (full race damping). <br>
Old 10-08-1998, 03:52 PM
Cameron

Default ATTN: Cathleen (re: body kits)

Who did your conversion for headlight squirters with System S? How much did this conversion cost? Do you have info. on how to do the conversion w/o going to 1000 miles East-northeast? <p>Thanks a lot!<p>Cameron<br>
Old 10-08-1998, 06:54 PM
Mike Zamarocy

Default Hey Cameron - that don't sound like the Chicago I left! Remember the 2 seasons? Winter and Construction!

Smooth roads in Cook County? NEVER! I find that as fiction! <p>Back many years ago when I lived there and raced Triumphs - it was told to our Club that British Leyland was SO IMPRESSED by our potholes, that they made a cast of one to build on their test tracks back in England! <p>And RUMOR had it that an MG Midget once disapeared in one never to be found again!
Old 10-08-1998, 07:13 PM
John/TSR

Default Good question...

It really depends on how high your threshold of panic is, and how big a tire budget you have. <p>Lots of cars do the "doggie dance" (i.e. lift a leg) on the way INTO corners - Golfs, Rabbits and Sciroccos are famous for this. It's actually kind of fun to panic the people behind you, until they figure out that you can do it under control in every corner. Carrying a front wheel on the way OUT of a corner, on the other hand, presents some problems. Running alot of neg. camber doesn't help matters, as the outside edge of the inside tire will normally come up in most production based cars. <p>If your front bars are SO stiff that you carry a front wheel on the way out of a corner, then you probably ought to think about higher rate springs. A bar that's overpowering the front springs will give you big time understeer, and cook your tires really quick. My earlier comment to Cameron about spring/shock compatibility with bars wasn't clear enough - Think of it as an organization chart: bars & springs have a solid line between them, bars & shocks have a dotted line. If your springs aren't up the loads that the bar will generate, your gonna COOK your outside tire, both because it's taking most of the suspension load, and because it's understeering, your cranking in more steering (beyond the optimum 7-8 deg. slip angles, and you should be able to feel the tire scrubbing. <br>I've got a program in my laptop called "Tire Temp. Analyzer" Version 2.01 by Autoware Inc. that allows you to input outside, middle and inside hot tire temps, and instantly tell you what settings to change (i.e. more rear shock, less pressure right front, less front bar...ad nauseum). Invariably, if tires on one side of the car are hotter, or if the outside edges (of the fronts, or the rears in a non-solid axle car) are hotter, it'll tell you, among other things -"LESS FRONT BAR" or "LESS REAR BAR"<p>I like cars that oversteer on the way into a corner. I hate cars that oversteer on the way out of a corner (like, after you've got it to an apex and are screwing the power back down). These are matters of personal preference. I don't like buying tires all the time. Running so much front bar that you carry a tire in the air on the way out means that you haven't gotten the springs right, or you're driving like a ******, or you have an unlimited tire budget.<p>BTW, a long time ago I think you mentioned that your dad used to build hot-rod race Corvairs - your last name isn't Yenko, is it ????<p>John<br>Trained Seals Racing<br>(not on my way to Mid-Ohio tonight, work has intruded again....)<br>(and Cameron: before you put sway bars in your car, get involved in the discussion regarding swaybar mounts cracking - I wasn't reading it, but Steve S. pointed it out to me - Yikes, I'd be really annoyed if that was my car)<p>
Old 10-08-1998, 07:24 PM
John/TSR

Default psssst...don't tell Cathleen !

It was called the "Zapper" from Electronic Rainbow in Indianapolis - (317) 291-7262 if they're still in business. I've had mine for about 10 years.
Old 10-09-1998, 04:43 AM
Cameron

Default Thanks again. Any remarkable spring/bar setups you've run across?

nt<br>
Old 10-09-1998, 04:51 AM
Cameron

Default Roads are good up here (Lake Forest), horrible further South.

<br>nt
Old 10-09-1998, 06:35 AM
Another Drew

Default I didn't tell Cathleen, but she'd be happy to hear...

Electronic Rainbow stopped making them earlier this year. FCC stopped them.<p>Drew
Old 10-09-1998, 07:40 AM
Cathleen

Default Thanks for the insight....

This software you mentioned sounds very interesting. Watching the touring cars on Speedvision I always am so fascinated with the complete science of it all and how the crew has tire engineers who's sole job is to measure temps, etc. play with toe and camber, pressures etc. Then there's all the suspension variables that go in to it. Actually, there was a clip about this once on Speedvision during a BTCC coverage about a year ago and it was specifically about this with the AudiSport group. Quite interesting. I wish I had taped it.<br>Also, when watching the touring cars who hit a bit of curbing into the turn, they lift up the inside wheels. You know it really looks cool (and I've done it myself) but it does unsettle the car and must scrub speed with not all four tires on the ground. I am not an engineer (as Dad is) but I do love learning this stuff. <br>No, my Dad's surname isn't Yenko. I'll ask if he's heard of this person. He crewed and built Corvair race cars with/for Jerry Thompson. This was a while back of course....mid-sixties.<br>I'm in agreement with your comment about a little oversteer on entry. I find that even though I am no expert on driving, I am learning to create a little of this with driving technique. It is quite fun to change inputs an see how the vehicle responds in a given situation.<br>-Cathleen

Quick Reply: Help me balance my car, please.