Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Mild rant about "Drivers Safety School".

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default talk to the eventmaster and the head instructor. they'll be sure to keep an eye on that person

along with the corner workers. If they continue, they'll probably be black flaged and asked to leave if it keeps happening.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I tell my students to focus on their own driving and ignore them

Too many get spooked and spend all their time watching the rear view mirrors. It's tough enough to concentrate on what you are doing, without spending 50% of your attention looking back. I remind them to look forward.

Of course, at the next straight, let them by. And let them get way ahead cause they are likely to go off...

After the session, talk to their instructor, the head instructor, or the eventmaster.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default imo, all beginner and intermediate drivers should have an instructor. If there aren't enough, then

there are too many students.

These clubs need to focus on finding more instructors instead of more students to pay the tab.

There is no way someone with <10 days on a track should be solo'd, especially at tracks like the Glen.

I was on the other end of the instructor placement when I attend the 6/04 ACNA MidOhio event. Even with plenty of DE track days, Time Trials, race schools, I was still placed into Intermediate with an instructor. I was not upset by this because I had never been to MidOhio before this event. I didn't know the dry line, except for what I had seen on tv and in the instructional video they had playing on friday, and I definitely didn't know the rain line, which was needed for 1-2 sessions on saturday. It was obvious that instructors were taking notice to me because as I was returning the race gas pump key to the garage with the eventmaster and lead instructors, one of them asked me if I wanted to be moved to the Experienced run group because my closing speeds were much faster than anyone else in the run group, I was staying on line, and being good about passing. I was also solo'd at that time.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well IRT my post about Winter DE, being worried about the person behind you at a

winter DE vs a summer DE are two completely different beasts.

At a summer DE, chances are you will go off track and out of an impact zone if something bad happens (yeah on track spins are also likely). But don't forget that everyone (should) have good braking ability as well as steering inputs. So they should be able to either steer out of the way or brake to slow down.

At a winter DE (especially the Bridgestone school in Steamboat Springs), you lose control you go into a wall and likely bounce off back into the main track. Which means right back into the driving line. And people there do not have good braking or steering inputs, I mean hell you are on snow/ice. So car to car contact could easily happen.

Also, a summer DE at a race track will have proper track supplied corner workers. The winter DE was just volunteers and in fact only two for the whole course (one at start/finish and the one on the truck to pull people out). Not faulting the winter DE planning, just the way it is. And should be fine so long as people respect whats going on.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:58 AM

Default its always the guy who asks about passing...

...who ends up bending something.

sorry to hear about your experience. i personally have only witnessed two incidents. 1) the toolbag who asked about passing went off, bending some very expensive bling-bling wheels (hardly counts really) and 2) one car about to go off, trys to save it, shoots back across track and gets T-boned by car #2.

remember "both feet in"
Old 05-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Rest In Peace

Default I agree, I did a BMWCCA event at Mid-Ohio with a chapter that didn't know me>

and they put me in the intermediate group and gave me an instructor.
I was happy they did. He was a great instructor, and I learned so much from him.
Even though I had experience, having an instructor is never a bad thing.
People who think they're above having an instructor are usually the ones that need them the most.

He also took me for a ride along in his E30 M3 Racecar, which was very cool.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Rest In Peace

Default Ignore them until the next passing zone and then let them by.

If you're becoming irritated, then you're driving your mirrors. Ask your instructor to speak to their instructor after the session, or speak to the other driver yourself. Reassure the other driver that you will let them pass at the next opportunity and that there is no need to drive so close. Speak to the eventmaster as a last resort.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That's not my point

My point is that *worrying* about them and driving your mirrors

a) does no good - you have no control over how badly they are driving.
b) does harm - you yourself are much more likely to do something stupid and screwup. Especially if you are a stressed beginner at your 1st or 2nd event.

Best plan is to focus on *your* driving (by ignoring them) and get to the next passing zone safely.

With one student I was tempted to simply move the central mirror way off axis cause he was using it too much.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:27 PM
CP

Default TIVO both the NASCAR and IRL races there...and any others on SPEED.

That helped me learn the basic layout of the Glen. Obviously nothing can beat actual seat time, but it's helpful (coming from a beginner).
Old 05-10-2006, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default This should be a sign at every track event that every instructor uses...>

"The only, and I mean only win at one of these events is when you drive your car home, had fun, and learned something new."

Quick Reply: Mild rant about "Drivers Safety School".