Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

No More USGP at Indy, at least not next year! Story enclosed.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No More USGP at Indy, at least not next year! Story enclosed.....

F1 won't return to Indianapolis in 2008

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Formula One's U.S. Grand Prix won't return to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway next year. The race will not be held at Indy in 2008 after eight years at the track, spokesman Ron Green said Thursday. He declined to give other details, but said speedway CEO Tony George would speak later in the day.

George had set Thursday as the deadline for reaching an agreement to extend the contract with F1. Indianapolis, the only American race on the F1 schedule, draws one of the biggest crowds on the circuit.

George, who met with F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone last month during U.S. Grand Prix weekend in Indianapolis, had said he was confident a new deal would be reached.

But Ecclestone had repeatedly said F1 did not need to race in the United States. He mentioned the possibility of moving the U.S. Grand Prix to New York or Las Vegas.

The 2.6-mile, 13-turn road course was built inside the speedway's famous oval to attract the F1 race.

Attendance figures are not released at Indianapolis, but estimates have been around 125,000 each of the past six years. The inaugural race in 2000 drew more than 200,000.

The event was marred in 2005 when 14 of the 20 drivers pulled off the track just before the start over concerns about the safety of the Michelin tires used by seven teams. Afterward, George refused to wave the checkered flag or join Michael Schumacher in the winner's circle.

Last year's negotiations to extend the deal dragged into August before the two sides agreed to a one-year deal. Speedway officials had said they wanted a more permanent solution this time.

Despite F1's absence, the speedway could still be the site of three races next year as track officials expect to announce with MotoGP, the international motorcycle racing series, next week.

Besides the Indianapolis 500, the speedway also is the site of NASCAR's Allstate 400 at the Brickyard on July 29.

Source: AP Wire
Old 07-12-2007, 09:12 AM

Default No offence to Indy, but thank GOD! Giving any money to the George's just

chaps my hide after what that family did to CART.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:44 AM

New York?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:50 AM

Watkins Glen......maybe....hopefully.....
Old 07-12-2007, 10:58 AM

I can hear the uproar about the Watkins Glen runoff already
Old 07-12-2007, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As much as I would love to see them at the Glenn, that's never gonna happen.

A) Bernie's price to host a GP is far too outrageous and the track can't afford it.
B) It would have to have MAJOR improvements done in order to be considered "safe" for a GP race.

I love the Glenn, and would LOVE to see them race there, but I just don't see that happening.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's part of the reason there's NOT going to be any race next year...

The fee to host the GP was extrordinarily high, and the track only made money off of concession sales. Couple that with the uproar from 2 years ago and you could see the writing on the table. That's OK, MotoGP is gonna be fvcking awesome.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:32 AM

Default I know, its a dream. But who knows....WGI has been around for a while.

Maybe they have some old money sitting around somewhere. All I know is if they were to have a F1 GP at the Glen, I would go and see it.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Nice to dream but I don't think WGI is in the cards. Are they thinking NYC street circuit?

WGI cannot be easily reworked to meet F1 safety requirements, or so I've read.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No way. ISC track (same as Indy), so that's out. It would be a street race.

Quick Reply: No More USGP at Indy, at least not next year! Story enclosed.....