Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Note: For all ProSolo newbies (Audiboy, ReyHey, Steve, etc.) ....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2001, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Note: For all ProSolo newbies (Audiboy, ReyHey, Steve, etc.) ....

To help get yourselves ready for this big event, I highly recommend reading all the information under "Supplemental Rules" and "Contingencies". This will give you a head start on all those questions you will undoubtedly need to ask while at the event.

Enjoy! :-)<ul><li><a href="http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo2/prosolo/index.html">SCCA ProSolo page</a></li></ul>
Old 05-07-2001, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default like a Virgin, HEY! like the very first time 8-)

Man, if you do well at these things, looks like you'll run ALL weekend 15 runs or so??

poor OEM intercooler 8-(

Audi On!
thz Corey!
Old 05-07-2001, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Starting before the green light" will result in a DNF. Dang, reaction time is valuable now...

I usually take my time after the green flag goes down. This time, green means go, and since I'm not curious about my 1/4 mile time (so to speak) I really have to pay attention to the Christmas tree and have a real good reaction time if that's what it boils down too. Now I am nervous but excited. Thanks for posting
Old 05-07-2001, 01:39 PM

Default Common misconception...

Actually, what you described is only true for the Open Challenge at the end of the event (only 32 class winners and close runners-up qualify for this).

During class competition, your reaction time does not count for anything. Having perfect .500 reaction times each run will not help you (although it's good practice for the Open Challenge). Your ET starts when you break the red light beam, not when the light turns green. Red lights (reactions under .500) will be a DNF, however. Where reaction times can hurt is if they are way too slow, they'll probably set an upper limit reaction time of 1.000 (and perhaps down to .800 later in the event), and if you go over it's a DNF. I think they do that just so the event stays efficient.

So, the green light still doesn't mean go, half way through the yellow before it actually does. :-)
Old 05-07-2001, 02:13 PM

Default Go to the practice starts event the Friday before

I highly recommend it! You'll get a feel for the starts and you'll get your RT and 60' times to see how you do.
Old 05-07-2001, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'll be there Friday to practice :) Thanks for all the info. I thought I read that green light

starts the timer. I feel better now
Old 05-07-2001, 08:23 PM

Default Also, use the Friday afternoon practice starts to find a level place in each lane...

...to stage. Remember, ProSolo events are run on multi-use pavement, not on a purpose-built level slab of concrete like you'll see at a drag strip. If you can't find a level spot to stage at the line, you'll be holding the e-brake all weekend if you don't have somebody to chock for you. At Petersburg this past weekend, I was rolling forward in both lanes. Thankfully, I had my co-driver to chock for me (and vice versa).

My normal ProSolo practice start ritual is to buy $10 worth of tickets (6 starts), and then do three in each lane. I try staging to the left, center, and right side of each lane, just to get a feel for how level it is and what the car will do if I need to stage in that spot during the weekend.

Speaking of last weekend, I red-lighted twice (0.495 and 0.496!) in class competition, despite knowing that the light didn't matter. I guess that old habits are hard to break. :-( The bulbs in the new tree have a different lighting characteristic than the old tree, and I was having a hell of a time spotting the "shades of yellow" that were so obvious on the old tree. Oh, well. Guess that I'll be going to Oscoda on Friday to get more practice starts in.....
Old 05-08-2001, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'll be there to practice too, these reaction times, and 60' times dont matter...

on the bottom line (as it were) do they?
Its actual time at the finish, right?

the only real objective is not to Red light and get a DNF??

Thanks!!
Old 05-08-2001, 09:02 AM

Default basically the new lights give you a 'window' to start

Your elapsed time (ET) is still based on when you break the last light in the regular competition, but you can still redlight (faster than a .500 reaction time), AND you can get a DNF for waiting too long; presumably to discourage you from 'sandbagging' your starts. At the Irvine Pro, they set that point as 1.000, so the window was effectively half a second. It's actually more time than it sounds.

60' times are just FYI, they're not used for anything beyond bragging rights :-)

With these starts, the Pro's are great for making you feel like you made the right choice with Quattro!