Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Pulled the trigger on the E36 (my new track ride)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any other must-do mods?

there are plenty of maintenance items that should be addressed like the oil pump nut, water pump, t-stat housing, etc, etc...there is plenty of information floating around on the various bmw forums and websites

clutch delay valve - mine never had it that i know of but if yours does, it definitely helps to remove it...i've driven cars with a cdv and it definitely made shifting smoothly more difficult...
Old 05-21-2008, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Thanks again...

You've been a great help with my lastest fiasco (as the wife calls it).

I'm going to have to do this stuff slowly as I now will have 2 older cars in the stable...

cheers,

peter
Old 05-21-2008, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no problem...

enjoy the car!
Old 05-21-2008, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default That's a given

been itching for a RWD car for many years.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:33 AM
CP

Default Congrats! So he went for your price point ;^)

Glad to hear that it worked out for you. This will be a nice step up from the Avant on the track, and will allow you to learn more stuff quickly. Though I heard that you need to work on calming down in traffic if you're being held up (haha), which you're going to experience alot more in this car.

Thanks for the CDs on Sunday. The drive home was uneventful.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default yes, I'll take delivery mid-june and price was right (13.5)

Now it looks like I have to drop 4k on suspension (adjustable). and more on other goodies.

Good point, I do get pissed when stuck in a train (considering how much it costs per lap). You IC's got it good

How was MOn-Tues?

glad to hear the drive was uneventful
Old 05-21-2008, 12:10 PM
CP

Default What's the rush?

If you're only planning on attending the Patroon event in October, I'd wait until the winter to begin messing with it. That way you'll have some idea about how it handles on the stock suspension and be able to see how any mods change the handling.

The NHMS event was good. I got faster, learned some more about how this car behaves, and was able to help some other people with Miata-related questions. I think we added two more guys to the Miata ranks through our coaxing ;^)

I'm still more than a second slower than I was with the GVR4, so I'm hoping to make that up during the 6+ other days I've got planned there this year. I'm way faster through the corners, but am sucking wind up the 2 hills and along the front straight.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Great price for the miles. Just sold mine for $16,500

Bone stock, really clean - 59,000 miles.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default No rush, things will get done as $$$$ permits

from what I've heard/read. BMW stock suspension lasts 30k. The car has 52 so I'm guess it's shot.

Seeing that it'll cost me 4k for a nice setup, I will have to save a while before doing this.

I hope to have at least some minor stuff addressed prior to fall track days including fueling issues, clutch valve and anything else it requires for track use.

I figure I'd let you take it out for a few laps for your input as well. You game?
Old 05-22-2008, 07:11 AM
CP

Default Sure, I'd be happy to (although I don't have any experience with BMWs)

I guess I can tell you what I'd do to it as far as track preparation. Track pads, new belts and fluids, coilovers, tires is about all I'd worry about in the beginning. Then some harnesses and a bolt-in rollbar.

Drive it on whatever tires it's got now, and then look for some used track wheels/tires this winter when people are dumping parts for good prices. Used r-comps aren't that bad, and will save you a ton of money. If you can find some guys that race and regularly buy new tires in order to be competitive, you may be able to get their used race rubber. I bought my current set new, and won't be doing that again.

I can't wait to hear about your wife's first accident in the Avant once she takes official ownership of it ;^)

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on the E36 (my new track ride)