Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

QCUSA Driving School at Roebling Road EOM. Help me prepare!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2000, 05:27 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QCUSA Driving School at Roebling Road EOM. Help me prepare!

This will be my first track training event. I have a TT. I am really lost in some ways. If anyone can answer these questions, or would like to be my mentor and give an e-mail address, I would be forever grateful.

Questions:
1. I need to buy a SA90 or better helmet. I think I want an open faced helmet. Is that good or should I go with full face helmet? Why?

2. Where can I buy SA rated helmets? Lots of cycle shops here (Jacksonville, Florida) but they only carry M rated (is that a DUH?) I don't know where to look for SA helmets.

3. Can you point me to a web site with tips on preparation of myself and my car for the event? For example, do I really need to check the lug nuts after each run? Do I need to check tire pressure? What pressure should I run? Does it really matter for a first timer?

If you folks know of good web sites or know of a quattro club resource that I am missing (besides the web page) I sure could use a clue.

Thank you very much in advance. E-mails are welcome!

Ivan
2000 Audi TT FWD Silver/Black
Old 03-09-2000, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just a few tips

If you're going to do more than one or two events a year, look into buying an SA rated helmet. If you only do this once every eon, an M rated helmet will suffice with most clubs.

Personally, I use a full faced M95 rated helmet, because I was in a rush at the time, and I prefer to not let people see my **** eating grin while I'm sliding the car. Some people like the open faced ones because it's easier to communicate with your passenger and it's a bit cooler.

They should send you a prep sheet with tips, but some stuff I've learned along the way:

Bring a lawnchair... I'm not kidding.

Always torque the wheel bolts before (not after) each run. Double check tire pressures too, and only adust them by 1-2 PSI at a time.

Run higher PSI than you would on the street. Depends on the tire. Ask some TT owners that have been to the track.

Bring sunscreen.

Bring a cooler w/ lots of water or some other non-caffinated drink.

Let the car cool down by stopping in neutral, leaving the engine running and popping the hood. DON'T set the parking brake! The rotors will be very hot. In fact, put a piece of duct tape over the parking brake so that you don't pull it.

Put duct tape or racing tape over your headlights and/or front turn signals. You don't want someone kicking up a rock and busting your (expensive) headlight covers.

Relax. Have a good time, and listen to what the instructors have to say. They all say slightly different things, but learn to be flexable and have an open mind. You'll have a blast!

Warren
Old 03-10-2000, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default A couple of more...

Bring a plastic "Rubbermade-like" container with a cover to put your stuff in. This way you won't have to worry about rain getting your stuff wet.

Take as many rides as you can in instructors cars. Lots to be learned by watching.

Also, I usually like to drive slowly around the paddock a few time after each run to cool the car down.

You're gonna have a ball!

Best wishes,
Geza
Old 03-10-2000, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default In the immortal words of ??? "You only got one head, right?"

Get a good helmet. I have a M2 SA95 full faced helmet...why? Because it has one of the biggest eyelet opening...and it is nomex lined...and will just about pass any driving school test you could come across. I got mine at Racer Wholesale (http://www.racerwholesale.com). Helmets vary from manufacturer to manufacturer...a 7 1/2 with one...is not necessarily a 7 1/2 with another.

What Warren and Geza said is good advice.

Steve S.
00 S4
Quattro Club instructor
Old 03-10-2000, 04:57 AM
Elder Member

Thank you all and please, keep 'em coming!
Old 03-10-2000, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Be careful with M-rated helmets...

Many of the QCUSA schools will change and not allow M-rated helmets after this year. The SA 2000 ratings will come out very soon, and SA90 rated helmets won't be allowed.

Get an SA 2000 helmet when they come out, so you can have it for a while. For the added weight (negligible) and cost (it IS your head) don't get an M-rated one. Why spend the $$$ and find out the place won't let you use it?

Bring a tarp for the ground PLUS one to cover your stuff up.

Bring lots of water

Leave most of your crap (change holder, the Club, maps, etc) at home. Don't drag it with you and just have to unload it at the track.

E-mail me if you have more questions.

Jon
'96 A4qs<ul><li><a href="http://www.quattroclubusa.org/r/potomac">PCR-QCUSA chapter</a></li></ul>
Old 03-10-2000, 05:35 AM
Elder Member

Default Interesting comments about helmets...

However, the event is March 27 and the SA 2000 helmets will not be out by then, it seems.

I can only seem to find SA95 rated helmets anyway, no SA90's. I am hoping the QCUSA schools will grandfather those in. I am looking to spend between $200 and $400 on a helmet, I'd rather not have to buy a new one in 6 months!

Thank you very much, Jon. I may e-mail you.

Ivan
Old 03-10-2000, 05:51 AM
Elder Member

Oh yeah, and what about "What to wear?" Jeans, sweats, other? I know long slv shirt needed.
Old 03-10-2000, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Comfortable clothing...slightly loose...but not too loose

No shorts....no boots/hiking shoes...you ideally want shoes that have a small footprint. Long sleeved shirt...use the "layer effect" depending upon weather.

Steve S.
Old 03-10-2000, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default SA 95 are fine through 2005

What I meant to say was you may want to rent a QCUSA helmet at the track this year until the SA2000 rated ones come out. That way you can get a helmet that will last you 10 years, and get to try out an open faced one (all QCUSA helmets are open faced) at the event.

Jon
'96 A4qs<ul><li><a href="http://www.quattroclubusa.org/r/potomac">PCR-QCUSA chapter</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: QCUSA Driving School at Roebling Road EOM. Help me prepare!