Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

S4 Forum X-post of my WGI spin in the rain. What should I have done?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There is only one line thru the Bus Stop...

...regardless of car, engine-placement, etc.

Tag the rumble strips on the right going in, have the car straightened out as you tag the rumbles on the left, straightline to about half-way across the concrete patch, then a single left-hand steering input (not two 'little lefts'...) to tag the rumbles on the left, then the right.

If you're carrying enough speed, you should end up on the left edge of the pavement out near the foam blocks. Use the two lateral asphalt pavement seams to navigate a slow diagonal down to the concrete patch in the outer loop. The more 'square' you can make the top of the hill, the earlier you can pull the trigger on the full throttle for the launch down the hill. You should enter that patch with your right front tire about 1-2 feet from the outer (left-hand) edge, then continue on a diagonal across the patch to an apex.

Unless, of course, it's raining.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hmmm... do you turn in from the left edge of the track before the bus stop?

or have you 'cheated in' half a track width before that?

having the car straight before the first left-hand turtle makes sense, certainly. Damn, wish I'd be back there before next summer.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No...

...because if you do you lose a whole bunch of radius, don't give the suspension enough time to settle before it has to lean the other way, and gnerally make a mess of things.

If you have a choice (and at HPDE's you always have the choice...), turn in from the left hand-edge, with your left tires on the white 'fog line at the edge of the track.

NEVER 'fade' into any turn, unless you're trying to keep race traffic out of your door panels.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Noah...trust me...John knows Watkins Glen

Even the blue armco... :-)
Old 09-22-2004, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: yeah, that river was interesting....

I've finally had time to look at the video tape from that session, and in that *monsoon*, I noticed a couple of laps where the winter driving skills came in *really* handy. As the front tires hit the water while I still had some right steering in, I felt the wheel go numb, and whipped the wheel just past straigh(say about 10 degrees left) to unload the left side and catch the front end as it came out. of the river. I still have to go back and look at the DL-90 data to see what the G-loads and speed were at the time...

When I have enough time to extract a few laps of those corners(and the corresponding DL-90 data), I'll post a pointer to it for you all to gander at.