Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

S4 SCCA class (stock)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2000, 07:00 AM
Reed M

Default S4 SCCA class (stock)?

I need to know the class for the 2000 S4 to race Solo II with SCCA and other groups (who usually use the SCCA classes at their events) so I can order magnetic numbers/letters.

Thanks,

Reed Merritt
Old 01-12-2000, 07:51 AM
Corey S

Default The S4 has been classified in AS.

If you follow the thread below about classifying the TT, you will find a link to the SCCA site that contains all the national classifications.

Corey S
'00 S4 (ready for autoX in 2000!)
Old 01-12-2000, 07:46 PM
Reed M

Default Thanks, Corey! This car just BEGS to be autocrossed!

I went to the SCCA sight, but it was late at night, I was tired and I didn't find that listing. Thanks, again. AS is what I used to run my '67 427 Corvette under, but I can't get enough tire under the fender wells to make it handle decent and it's too valuable to take out and thrash anymore anyway. The S4 should be a LOT more fun, plus I don't have to worry about breaking 33 year old parts.

I'm really looking forward to autocrossing my S4 Tip. I'm still breaking it in (only 280 miles left to 1,000!). I know you're running a six speed, but do you have any tips on handling, etc.? I want to leave it stock until the warranty period is over, but I may not make it that long. My dealer's service manager frowns on "chipping", unfortunately. He says the Audi engineers arent' in favor of chipping. I think they're just afraid of warranty claims.

Chipping it would probably put me in a "prepared" class anyway, wouldn't it? Looks like I need to join SCCA, for a multitude of reasons. At least I can go ahead and order my magnetic numbers from Solotime.

Thanks again,

Reed Merritt
'00 S4 Tip Silver/Onyx
Old 01-13-2000, 09:39 AM
Corey S

Default Yeah, chip definitely takes you out of stock....

And, if you read every detail of the rules, technically a chip would take you to modified or prepared, I don't remember which. Since you are changing the boost, you technically can't even run in street prepared. A lot of people around the Bay Area are "pro chip", so they don't mind anyone running a chip in street prepared, but I don't think it would be a go in stock class.

Tips for handling? Well, the car needs some suspension work. If you wanna stay in stock class, I would recommend swapping out the shocks for some good Konis if you want to be competitive. Beyond that, I'm a big fan of the BFG g-Force R1 tires. Need an extra set of wheels for that though.

Good luck!!

Corey S
'00 Nogaro S4
Old 01-16-2000, 07:42 PM
racer

Default Why you say Konis and not Bilsteins?

Not saying that Konis are not good shocks, because they are. Just wanted to know why you wouldn't swap out stock for say Bilstein sports? Are Konis sports better for race purpose than Bilsteins (from your experiences on the track)?
Old 01-17-2000, 12:47 PM
Mike M.

Default Corey's talking about race revalved Koni's, not the mainstream ones....

BIG Difference!!

Can't believe I had to miss Thunderhill....ARRRGGHHH!!!!!,
Mike M.
Old 01-18-2000, 08:55 AM
Corey S

Mike's right. Too bad you weren't at Thunderhill, it was a BLAST!