Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

SCCA Pro Racing, Slipstream Global Announce Formula Drift Championship For 2004

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCCA Pro Racing, Slipstream Global Announce Formula Drift Championship For 2004

If that's not a sellout move, I don't know what is. I personally think this is ridiculous, drifting is crap, please someone tell me it's a joke...the SCCA must be really desperate for money.

__________________________________________________ ___________

LAS VEGAS, Nev. (Nov. 7, 2003) -- SCCA Pro Racing Ltd.® and Slipstream Global Marketing, Inc. announced at the Special Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show today a new partnership creating Formula Drift®, the first North American professional drifting championship.

Announced as a four-event Championship in 2004, SCCA Pro Racing will sanction the events, promoted by Irvine, Calif.-based Slipstream Global, which was responsible for the first professional drifting event in North America, the 2003 D1 Grand Prix.

"SCCA was responsible for the initial development of road racing in the United States 60 years ago, and it is logical that we be at the forefront of the first domestic professional drifting Championship," said Garret Mudd, SCCA Vice President of Marketing. "Slipstream Global has asserted itself as the leading promoter and expert with its involvement in this year's D1 Grand Prix at Irwindale."

In the new agreement, which also includes car shows produced by Vision Entertainment, SCCA Pro Racing will provide event operations, technical inspection and services, safety procedures, licensing and series administration.

"To legitimize Formula D, SCCA Pro Racing has come on board as our sanctioning body," said Jim Liaw, Slipstream Global Marketing, Inc. Co-Owner. "SCCA will provide the on-track know how and safety precautions needed for a successful program."

In addition to the four-event Championship, Formula D will also include six to 10 exhibitions at main stream motorsports events in conjunction with SCCA Pro Racing's SPEED World Challenge Championships, the American Le Mans Series and the Indy Racing League.

The 2004 series will be documented on `Formula Drift TV,' with the series of programs going to networks at the conclusion of the season. Television shows will be produced by LivePlanet, the company behind the HBO hit series `Project Greenlight' and founded by Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Sean Bailey and Chris Moore; and Want Media, a leading youth marketing and media production company on behalf of Slipstream Global.

"Want Media is thrilled to participate in the development and production of the `Formula Drift TV' series," said Mark Lacey, Want Media CEO. "Drifting is the most exciting new sport to hit North America in the past decade and the fact it already has a large, youth-oriented international following is a testament of its cultural significance and credible commercial appeal to young males."

Further information, including the 2004 series and exhibition schedule will be released at a later date<ul><li><a href="http://www.scca.com/news/press03_146.html">http://www.scca.com/news/press03_146.html</a</li></ul>
Old 11-10-2003, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default yep, that's likethe US government trying to judge figure skating...

a huge officious self-important bunch of bureaucrats like the SCCA and a completely subjective "freestyle" show that has nothing to do with racing = doesn't compute.

NASA did it best with Hyperfest. Bring the two groups together in one venue but run the events separately and let people see for themselves what's on the other side of the fence.

The fact SCCA doesn't even have IT classes as national classes continues to reinforce their dedication to the most expensive racing possible. IMHO they NEVER would have gone for Spec Miata if it hadn't been for NASA and Mazda and the people involved in starting it demonstrating that it was "you better have this class or become redundant".
Old 11-10-2003, 09:40 AM

Default I can see it now...

The next fast and the furious movie will be about drifting...All kinds of drifting videogames will come out, and we'll have DriftTV just like NascarTV, sigh.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default seems to me it's utterly finite and sort of doomed because of it...

okay, you slid around a turn.

So what's next? I know some of the Hyperfests have roll-over contests.

I mean they talk about "needing a new generation of racers to keep the sport healthy" but these guys aren't racers and the "sport" has nothing to do with racing and once you've done it...what's next? You can't drift "better" or "faster".

Jumping on a fad IMHO...it's not the future of motorsports (I hope to hell). Honda Challenge and Spec Miata and HPDEs...low cost and accessible to other than just the wealthy is the future of amateur motorsports. SCCA proudly produces a new "spec" racer which they sell at a loss for $30k, the look the other way that it doesn't actually meet several of their safety regs and the engine is like $6k and this is their new "low cost" series? Baaah.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default obviously, SCCA wants to make the money as drift events generate a capacity crowd. a bunch of

well-off spectators/enthusiasts who has more money to buy hotdogs, t-shirts etc x 2 for their GFs - the kind that dont care about stock, spec cars and PAX indeces pfft. venue management would love that SCCA would finally use their facilities the way it should be.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:59 AM

it's like monster truck racing for ricers
Old 11-10-2003, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default more like for "JDM", "jspec", japanese magazine browsing ricers that dont think theyre rice

BTW, US motorsports has these "quarter racer"(?) sprint cars drifting for hours in an oval. i've been seeing those since ABC wideworld of sports.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:41 PM

Default sprint cars drift around a dirt oval because that's the fastest way around the track

Redneck racin at it's finest! The real deal outlaw sprint cars are nuts though, 800+hp and 1300 lbs, that's better power to weight ratio than an F1 car!
Old 11-10-2003, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default plus...key word...RACING...they're out there trying to cross the line first...

not wave to the audience while hanging out the door.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

damn, more rules :\ hey i wave at autox after a few cirle burnouts (saving face from a wipeout)

Quick Reply: SCCA Pro Racing, Slipstream Global Announce Formula Drift Championship For 2004