Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Sears Point 1/6 (long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-1999, 06:54 PM
Robbie

Default Sears Point 1/6 (long)

The rain started around dawn as I left home for the track, but it waited until 9am to really pick up. It was going to be a quattro day.<p>As it turned out, turnout was pretty good for the Group 1 and 2 schools. They had us split into a and b groups. Everyone in group 1 had an instructor, though after some introductions, mine opted to drive and have me follow him rather than ride along. So I guess I was effectively group 2 this time. <p>It's hard to find words to describe the experience. The track is extremely challenging to begin with, and it got more challenging as the day drove on with excessive slipperiness. Rivers, oceans and mere stands of water on the track along with a complete sheen in the "dry" spots made it a moment to moment experience all day. I can't recall being so copmletely immersed in any one activity for some time. <p>There were many spins this day, fortunately none by me, and none resulting in any major damage. No spins, but one full 50-60ft. four-wheel drift exiting turn 6 ("The Carousel"), basically an "over the river and through the mud" bit (there were a number of off-track excursions which brought the mud, yet another exciting challenge). Another 4 wheel drift accelerating out of 3a, this one a mere 15-20ft. <p>An Acura NSX (!) spun twice and off the track right in front of me as I exited turn 11 onto the front straight. Since he was spinning off line, I just pressed on and accelerated down the straight past turn 12.... and then I was flying on water... hydroplaning, yawed very slightly left and flying down the straight. I was eeeeeeeeasing off the gas when the wheels grabbed and slipped I felt a motion like the car wanted to spin left, and every so slightly countered in with my steering input. The nose of the car eased back facing forward again, after a little inducing the other direction for over-compensation. The car settled just in time for me to turn into turn 1, the "ASR" groaning all the way up the hill to turn 2.<p>OK, so that entire previous paragraph is just an enthusiasic way to say I fishtailed a little too.<p>What can I say... I had a GREAT time. Quattro rules!, it RULES! Umm... I told you so. Well that's about all I can think of. Wish I'd signed up for tommorrow too!<p><br>BTW: If one felt the urge, one could show up tomorrow morning at 7:15, pay $200 (50 dollar late add fee included) and experience this for themselves, but, folks....please... don't try this at home!<p>NorCal at SPIR on June 5. Standing by.<p>Robbie<br>"Robert ill"<br>991.8Tqms. TAPped<br>
Old 02-06-1999, 07:04 PM
Robbie

uhhhh, of course that's Sears Point *2/6*
Old 02-06-1999, 09:47 PM
Steve S.

Default As I was looking outside this afternoon I thought of you

No, not in that way!<p>I was wondering if you were sloshing around in the rain. I heard Sonoma<br>got flooded out. I bet the track was full of little rivers going across the<br>track. What fun. How many showed up on a rainy day?<p>Steve
Old 02-07-1999, 08:15 AM
Robbie

Default SPIR Turnout

All told, I'd guesstimate there were 50-60 or so drivers total. Lots more showed up and took a rain check. Group 1&2 by far had the best turnout. There were about 28-30 drivers in group 1+2, and we were split into 'a' and 'b' group runs. (bout 15 cars each)<p>My friend with a race-modified GenII RX-7 didn't even take his car off the trailer. He took pictures (might be some forthcoming) and tried to stay dry most of the day.<p>I saw a silver Porsche Boxster pulling in first thing in the morning, but didn't see the car on the track or paddock at all. Visibility was quite poor though, so your friend might have been out there having fun too.<p>I was itchin' for more track time when the checkered flag flew for the last session.<p>SPIR had basically been converted into an automotive themepark with lots of waterslides and swimming pools. HAPPY, HAPPY! JOY!, JOY!<p>Robbie<br>
Old 02-07-1999, 08:22 AM
Dean Benz

What exactly was the event? Just an open track day or what?
Old 02-07-1999, 08:25 AM
oops

IGNORE ABOVE POST. ONE DAY I&quot;LL LEARN TO READ FROM THE END!nt