Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Spec Miata vs Kart - opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec Miata vs Kart - opinions please!

I've been thinking about getting into a spec Miata - ideally I'd start from scratch and build the car myself....

I know that a kart would be a much less expensive option to get into racing, but I think I'd rather have a car at this point - any thoughts or opinions?

For those in spec Miata - about how much would I realistically be looking at - both the cost of the car and the cost of a typical race weekend?

Thanks....

If you want to respond via email, it's trorer at yahoo dot com
Old 03-10-2005, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I was going through the exact same dilema, what solved it was not being able to afford either...

But what I did decide against was karting for a couple reasons, first I already belong to an indoor league with a bunch of my SCCA buddies and that only costs $20, it gives me a place to work on my reflexes in the winter. Second reason is I want to race real cars on real tracks, I was going to build a Miata but it was still outside my budget so instead I'm building a 318 for ITB. I plan on being on the track for $2000 (so in reality about $4000

As for the cost of the car Steve S will be the best one to answer your question, but here is what I figured on spending:

Car: $2000-3000
Replacing worn stuff: $1000
Suspension:$1300 (complete SM kits are online)
Safety:$1200
Wheels & Tires $900 per set (kosei wheels, toyo tires) 2 sets needed
Spares (hubs, brakes, blah, blah) $1000 to $2000
I figured $10,000 for a basic setup when all done. But with racing it always costs more than you think.

Now these are all budget costs for a mid pack car if you can drive, and doing all the work myself. too rich for my blood right now. With the BMW I plan on buying used stuff when possible and not fully prepping the car, just reliability stuff with a simple suspension (H&R race springs, Bilstien sport shocks, fixed camber plates, bushings, used swaybars) and only a programmable ECU, intake, header, and homemade exhaust. If you do a spec miata in steps or take shortcuts it's likely you will be in back.

As for race weekend costs, that depends really, the constants are entry fees ($200-300) fuel, lodging, how long your tires last, Toyos last long, some say 20 heat cycles as long as you don't overdrive tnem and your car is aligned. Bit I have not raced in club racing yet so I don't know the totals.

Karting is much cheaper and is the way to go if cost is your only concern, I could not afford the $3500 up front for the kart/tires/spares for the spec series I wanted to run, my racecar project will cost more but it's spread out over a longer time, I got the car for free. Once I have the car built and a couple seasons under my belt I will be making more money (changing careers ownz me now) and can decide thren where I want to go.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default budget a LOT more for safety items...

...assuming you are going to be racing...

you'll need a full cage...most clubs will allow a bolt in cage but i wouldnt reccomend racing with one...a decent custom weld in cage is going to run you a few grand minimum...

you'll also need: a helmet, suit/shoes/gloves, decent seat, harnesses, an extinguisher, kill switch, window net....

some optional items would be: a real fire system and a hans device

the guys over on bimmerforums can probably give you better estimates of what it takes to race an e30...
Old 03-10-2005, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Custom weld in 8pt cage = $600, Seat = $220, belts = $150, rest I have.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Custom weld in 8pt cage = $600....

seriously? can you even get the steel for that?
Old 03-10-2005, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

I guess, normally it would be $1100 but I know the owner.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that still sounds awfully cheap for a well built cage...

it always pays to know the right people! ;-)
Old 03-10-2005, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I'm going to be in ITB in a 100hp BMW. I don't need a World Challenge cage...

your quote of "a few grand" is a little crazy for an ITB car, that's a little crazy for an ITS car. Even a regular bolt in cage from Kirk would be fine, I may still go that route in case I wad the car up in my first couple races, makes transferring stuff to a new shell cheaper.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:07 PM

One thing, look at other E30 cages and go with somebody who has E30 experience.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I'll be going to a local shop that is experienced in SCCA and stock car cages.

Or I'll just buy a bolt in cage that can be transferred to another chassis.

Quick Reply: Spec Miata vs Kart - opinions please!