Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Well Allan was very diplomatic about the "other two races on American soil"...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well Allan was very diplomatic about the "other two races on American soil"...

I was hoping for a confirmation from him that Audi would indeed be racing a couple of more races this year but I guess we will have to wait.

I was surprised about the announcement by Dave about rumours that VW/Audi may go into Indy or IRL as an engine supplier. Does anyone here know about this rumour?

Hope the boys from Audi pull it off next weekend with the R15 and win yet again.

GO Audi GO!
Old 03-15-2009, 06:20 PM

Default Porsche and VW/Audi has been publicly involved in the engine manufacturer meetings for Indycars for

the better part of a year. They want a turbo inline or V4, as does Fiat (as Alfa Romeo), while Honda wants a turbo V6.

The plan was for new engines and a new car to come in 2010, but with the recession I believe it's been pushed back to 2011. The idea of Alfa coming back to the US beyond the 8C is looking shaky as well I hear, which would put the ice on their Indy program, which would just leave the two in the ring. Independent engine companies (Cosworth for sure, I believe Illmor and Judd) have also been in on the meetings, but I'm not sure in what capacity they have been involved. Honda certainly would not be happy or willing to compete with competition that wasn't representing another major car company, but Cosworth and Illmor at least have both been the folks behind the design build of various Indycar engines badged with more household names.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the info. It would be nice to see VAG in Indy. I know I told you before...

But I love the picture of your car in your sig.

Do you have a Hi Res version of it?
Old 03-16-2009, 01:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I see two reasons for racing in the US - first, Petit is an auto invite for the 24h and

as long as one spends the funds to get here and the timing of the events, then Laguna becomes a given. Second would be to promote consumer sales of the Audi brand in the US. But on the flip side, do the unemployed GM workers really want to see dollars put into Corvette racing and not in their pockets to support their families? A point which could be argued all day long.

From the racing aspect, I would like to see them back in LMS where's there's competition in LMP1 and the racing is on real circuits (not a mickey mouse street circuit). Just because Kolles is running 2 customer R10's doesn't mean Audi AG can't run 2 R15's. In Spa, Henri is running his customer 908 while Peugeot is running the factory upgraded version of the 908.

Just my thoughts.
Carol
Old 03-16-2009, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well I like many others like you hope Audi changes its mind and comes back to the ALMS series ASAP.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think they will run Petit and Laguna Seca...Allan was just being careful with

his words. So in order to ensure Audi returns....we should all go and purchase/lease a new Audi. The plus side Audi Club members are offered a rebate in the amount of $500. It's always about the money when it comes to racing.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rakete
his words. So in order to ensure Audi returns....we should all go and purchase/lease a new Audi. The plus side Audi Club members are offered a rebate in the amount of $500. It's always about the money when it comes to racing.
We just received our $500 check, it took several months - I put it to good use, it went into Sophia's bank account for her next major in two years which is in the $7000+ range as it's an engine out, etc. She and her kind are a bit high maintenance.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jet Jockey/A4 Pilot
But I love the picture of your car in your sig.

Do you have a Hi Res version of it?
Thanks man. I've got the original I cropped down for the sig, which is certainly an improvement, but not some huge mega file if you'd like that.