Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

What classes should the TTQ run in this season for Auto-X?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2000, 08:00 PM
LarryTT

Default What classes should the TTQ run in this season for Auto-X?

I need to know the stock and different modified classes the TTQ will be running in if anyone knows.

I plan to modify the car and don't know what I can and can't do to the car. I need to know what determines Street Prepared or Prepared, or even modified!

I am putting in a Garrett Chip, Borla Exhaust and H&R Sport Springs Stage II. Is all of this considered Street Prepared? Prepared? or Modified?

I have not been involved in Auto-Xing in about 5 years and don't remember. Thanks for whatever help someone can provide to me.

Larry
180TTQ
Old 01-08-2000, 09:49 PM
Steve S.

Default It wasn't listed

The A4 Quattro ran in G-Stock and C-Street Prepared....I think they might stick a modified car in O-Street Prepared until they decided. Just my 2 cents worth.

Steve S.
00 S4
Old 01-09-2000, 05:21 AM
LarryTT

What is O Street Prepared? That is a new one!
Old 01-09-2000, 08:31 AM
Corey S

Default TT and TTq 180 is in GS, TT and TTq 225 is in AS, Street Prepared has not been determined

The street prepared category for the TT has not yet been determine, but the catch-all for CSP would put you there. There still is the issue about whether chips (that alter boost) are legal in street prepared or not. The guys in the SF Bay region are cool about it, but I think you can interpret the SCCA rules either way.

Steve, OSP is a regional class, not recognized nationally, so it might not be available to him.

I suggest going to http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/ and reading all the rules about classifications and mods and so forth. These are mostly current, but unofficial.

Good luck, and happy autoX'ing!!

Corey S
'00 S4
Old 01-09-2000, 10:05 AM
Steve S.

Default "O"pen Street Prepared

Open street prepared...like Corey said appears to be local to NorCal. It is where a number of really modified cars end up. There is a really modded VW Bug competing in it...he hauls butt...and has for the last 15-20 years.

Steve S.
00 S4
Old 01-09-2000, 05:54 PM
Arthur Emerson

Default Re: What classes should the TTQ run in this season for Auto-X?

If the Garrett chip touches the boost at all, you're on the fast track to Mod class. AFAIK, no new turbo cars (not listed in prepared back in 1991) will be classed in Prepared. See the fourth paragraph of the Appendix A intro in your rulebook. If you don't have a book yet, get it from the SCCA. The new one should be out within a few weeks.

Now, for my two cents as the fastest VW autocrosser in America last year according to the Waterfest results. Take the money that you're going to spend on a chip, suspension, and an exhaust and buy race tires. Then, sign up for a McKamey Autocross School (http://www.autocross.com/mckameyschool/ ). I bet that there's 5 seconds to be found by adjusting the loose nut behind the wheel, but only a second or so from all that bolt-on stuff. As an added benefit, the lessons learned from the school can be transferred to your next car.

Now, if I can just get a TT-Q in my hands before the Fort Meyers ProSolo opener next month.....
Old 01-09-2000, 05:56 PM
LarryTT

Default Thanks for the info

It looks like I will have to remove the chip at events to remain in Street Prepared. Not a biggie . . .I hope!

Larry
180TTQ
Old 01-10-2000, 10:09 AM
LCP

Houston SCCA has 7 new Street Prepared Classes for 2000, including Open also
Old 01-10-2000, 07:13 PM
LarryTT

Arthur:

I appreciate the suggestions. I had been an auto-xer for almost 10 years until I "retired" 4 years ago. I was pretty good back then too! I ran VW 16v in CSP and then got a GT4 Datsun 510 that I ran in EP and also raced in SCCA GT4 and EMRA events in the Northeast.

I got more into Road Racing and away from Auto-X back then. I now have the TTQ and want to know where it will be classed.

I had a feeling that the chip might make the car modified, but the springs and exhaust will place me in a a Street Prepared class. I can always remove the chip before each event. I don't plan on running in the 40 events that I used to each year. Maybe only 10-15 this year.

I know I need to get a second set of wheels and tires. I will do that for the 2001 season and get the latest TA R1's, or G-Force as they are called today! I might even do that towards the middle of the summer. I would have to make arrangements to get the wheels and tools to the events as the TTQ does not have the room for this stuff. I also don't see how I could even if I wanted to add a hitch for a trailer! LOL

Thanks for the input.

Larry
180TTQ
Old 01-13-2000, 08:32 PM
Arthur Emerson

I'm still up in the air on tires. I used to run BFG Comp T/A R1's on my GTI VR6 (nicknamed "The Loaf" by anyone that's ever seen it run). Then they discontinued them at the end of 1998, I switched to Kumho rather than buy the new G-Farce as many autocrossers call it. The Miata drivers were giving away their G-Forces after one event last spring, because they weren't the tire for that car.

The benefiits of the Kumho over the G-Force are lower price, longer life, and better feedback at the edge of adhesion. I haven't personally driven the G-Forces, but most of the same stuff applies to the old Comp T/A R1. The bad thing about the Kumho is that they're HEAVY. My street tires feel better under any conditions not at the edge of adhesion.

On the trailer front, I'm about to find out if a hitch can be fabricated. My TTQ will be in next week, and stop #1 on the TTQ Tour 2000 will be a local racer who claims that he hasn't run across a car yet that he couldn't put a hitch on. I planned ahead, and bought the famous Harbor Freight 40" x 48" utility trailer kit last month. There's complete directions for building this kit into a tire trailer for under $250 on the web, although I can't find the link at the moment. The only thing that I'll miss about my old GTI is the ability to carry both four passengers and my tires to an autocross.....

Quick Reply: What classes should the TTQ run in this season for Auto-X?