Motorsport Discussion Discussion forum for everything racing-related

Yeehaw, I Passed Corey today at Thunderhill!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2000, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yup.

There was one session where I took about two turns worth of cool down (instead of a whole lap) and came in. I checked the temps, front tires showed about 155deg inside, 152deg middle, and 154deg outside. The other tire had about same temps, but they were within 1deg of each other. Seemed pretty darn good. The shoulders were about 20deg cooler than the rest of the tread.
Old 12-04-2000, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I would bet Sharon would like you to try for 2:07's in your car, not hers..

After being a passenger on a 2:10 lap, I am not so sure I want to go that fast. Of course, Jerry B. is cornering at scary speeds because he has no power but the speed differentials between a 2:20+ lap and 2:10 are pretty incredible.

Early in the day when the M6 was chasing you, you guys were right around 2:15 while dealing with lots of traffic.
Old 12-04-2000, 10:11 AM

Default Alignment...

Sharon's car is running -2.9deg camber, and 1/16" toe-out on each side. It was aligned just a few weeks ago, and there doesn't seem to be any reason to believe that the toe got tweaked too far from that. The car was handling great, and seemed balanced from side to side.

The tread did not have that rainbow effect you mentioned, I know what you're talking about. I did that to some Kumhos once, they took the punishment (without blowing), but did get greasy/slippery.

Even with just 1/8" total toe-out, I wonder if that's too much for that track. There are two long off-camber right handers there (T3 and T5A).

Also, note the tire temps I posted in response to Audiboy.
Old 12-04-2000, 10:13 AM

I do, for 'N' cars in turns. Everyone else is fair game! ;^)
Old 12-04-2000, 10:13 AM

Default Perhaps. ;-)

Yeah, I clocked a 2:14 while dodging traffic and pulling away from that M6, but he wasn't too far behind. We danced thru lots of traffic, and I was clocking 2:15's to 2:20's most of that session.
Old 12-04-2000, 10:47 AM

Default Sorry, didn't mean to offend...

As a NASA instructor and frequent HPDE participant, I fully support the 'N' concept. My comments were not intended to demean anyone's driving, and had I given it a moment's consideration, I would have worded my thoughts more accurately.

The real issue was not the fact there were less experienced drivers: I (and NASA) welcome all folks, regardless of experience level. There's enough track time for all of us! ;^)

I would have much preferred two or more run groups, based on experience and car preparation. IMHO, *everyone* would have been more comfortable.

For example, there were a couple of folks (no Audis) that I lapped 3 times in a session. I absolutely agree they should have the opportunity to experience high performance driving, but also think many of them would have been more comfortable running in a group with less speed differential.

My only issue with 'N' cars in open track sessions is high-power cars that 'park it' in the corners (where I'm not supposed to pass them), but then blast down the straights. My 3400lb/208HP bimmer carries good corner speed, but doesn't stand a chance in a drag race. ;^0

I personally didn't experience any of that yesterday, and say 'hats off' to the vast majority of less experienced drivers, who I felt were as aware as any group I've seen on track. Those point-bys mean they're checking the mirrors and are cognizant of their surroundings. Good job!

I wish I could say the same for a couple of so-called 'advanced' drivers that made a practice of dive-bombing in turns; we all get a little carried away now and then, but when it becomes a habit, that's just plain bad manners. (We brought those folks in, and the HPDE director had a chat with them.)

Maybe if I promise to behave, I could get invited to an Audi event?

-jerry
Old 12-04-2000, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang, maybe just a faulty tire hmmm
Old 12-04-2000, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey, No offense even felt! I too had to deal w/ "N" folks...

Open track was a great experience. just goes to show how fast, fast is!

But, if they'd just had 30min fast group sessions, then a +/- 30min slower group session I'd been happer. But, I had a blast!
Except for a RX7 who gets pointed by, passes 4 cars, then loses it in T11 right in front of everyone he just gets by (a gaggle of N's)

again No offense taken or intended!
being an "N" was a necessary step, probably again?

Thanks for the response Jerry!
you and everyone I've run across at tracks have been great folks. (expect the Girl Tow Trucker @ Thill, she has something against Audi's?)

Richard N.
Old 12-04-2000, 11:30 AM

Default Or I could? :-P

Actually there are times when his car is better setup than mine and visa versa.

I also wish NASA had done a slow vs. fast group. There was way too much traffic and there was waaaayyyy too big of a differential in speeds out there. I did not have a single open or clean run. The best I could manage was 2:15s while dodging Ns.
Old 12-04-2000, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm an 'N' too...

And even if I didn't have the 'N', the lines I was taking the first couple times around the track in my Nogaro S4 would probably have served to garner myself some room. After a few hot laps with Corey (and the flat...) I took her back out and was quite a bit faster.

Then I took the bypass at a good clip, and with stock suspension and tires it's, uh, 'exciting' when it shifts from unloaded to loaded. I decided to go slower over that from then on. But it was excellent in the last session of the day -- around 4:10 pm there were maybe 5 cars on the whole circuit, and it was just free runnin' That would have been the time to shoot for 2:07's

-B

Quick Reply: Yeehaw, I Passed Corey today at Thunderhill!