Another speeding ticket thread: Any advice - estimated 40 in a 30 + state visitor decal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You would think as a courtesy to out of state students......

Colleges / Universities in MA would hand those forms out as a part of orientation to it's students.

Oh well.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wow... near what college did this happen?

I always thought the downside was not being able to get a city street parking decal. Its all about revenue to the pigs... do you have active NC docs and inspection stickers etc?

I get the same hassle with NH/MA cars in my family. Some cops say its an arrestable offense... lol... they will ask you how many days you live in each state, where you pay taxes etc... and that will be your home state. I ask myself, what if some well to do West Coast businessman has a house on the Cape? Is he allowed to register cars in MA, or does he have to ship cars to here? They tell me I need a MA license if I register and garage cars in MA. Total BS, if I got free garage space in both states, I'm using it and not leaving my babies out in the cold just for their greedy revenue desires. NH has no required insurance, and I don't even milk that, but they still hassle me in NH if I take a MA up there . (And get pulled over hehe)
Old 01-26-2008, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was coming from Tufts, it was in Cambridge near Harvard.

I have *never* seen this decal affixed to any car on campus without out of state plates.

Also, neither the campus parking rules nor Somerville parking offices make any mention of it.

Also, that form cites a $200 fine, not a $500 one like the officer claimed unless things have changed since that form was produced.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah, I don't think it's a good idea to mention that.

I'll try and get a copy of my clean NC driving record.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Follow up: Does anyone else know what the clocked box means?

There are radar and lidar boxes as well which are not checked.

The estimated box is checked.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-2008, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Have you tried doing a search on this forum for "clocked?"
Old 01-26-2008, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default noted, I was just using google...found what I needed in the archives.

There is no mention of the distance he clocked me for.

He couldn't have put this, because I was already stopped at the next traffic light by the time he pulled out of where he was parked.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Indeed it is. Read Chapter 90 section 3 of the Mass. General Laws.Refers to out of state drivers and

students.

I'm also a CT resident and lived / went to school in Mass last year and had to register as well.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Not an attorney, but it seems to be insurance COVERAGE related...

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-3.htm

So how much is the college getting fined for NOT notifying you with the appropriate notice of 1/2" high letters?

"Each such school or college shall provide to all nonresident students the following warning in bold type not less than 1/2 inch in height: "IT IS UNLAWFUL FOR A NONRESIDENT STUDENT TO FAIL TO FILE A NONRESIDENT DRIVER STATEMENT WITH THE POLICE DEPARTMENT LOCATED IN THE SAME CITY OR TOWN AS THE SCHOOL OR COLLEGE ATTENDED, IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 3 OF CHAPTER 90 OF THE MASSACHUSETTS GENERAL LAWS. FAILURE TO FILE SUCH STATEMENT IS PUNISHABLE BY A FINE NOT TO EXCEED $200." A written acknowledgment of receipt of this warning shall be required"

My guess is that decal parking for on campus lots have "this" attached to it.

BTW: States like NH HAVE NO Insurance policy requirement.
So if the vehicle is owned outright, a NH driver could be in the Commonwealth, uninsured, any and every day he/she is passing through or commuting into Mass. FYI.<ul><li><a href="http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-3.htm">Print your own copy........</a></li></ul>
Old 01-27-2008, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Q's:

Car registered to you?

Your out of state ins policy carry (on that vehicle) higher than the MA mandated insured levels?

That particular vehicle been in the Commonwealth 30 days in the past year (as defined by the Chapt., 90 section 3 "law"?

Quick Reply: Another speeding ticket thread: Any advice - estimated 40 in a 30 + state visitor decal?