Got pulled over again in Acton for "loud exhaust"

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got pulled over again in Acton for "loud exhaust"

Well this is the second time this has happened to me so this time I wanted to get a bit more information about this BS and Bogus law from the cop.

This officer told me that the exhaust must be left unchanged how it came from the factory. OK - a few things, what happens when your exhaust rots out? Do you just leave it because it is OEM? What about motorsport divisions of car manufacturers -

AMG
Nismo
now Stasis - They all provide exhausts for cars that you can purchase from the dealer in MA.

I then asked him about Harley's and he said they are measured on a decible level and its different from cars. Cars have no decible level measurement only a visual inspection to see if its been changed.

Overall, I got off with a warning because I told him I bought it like this. He told me Audi's are easy to spot because they are whisper quiet from the factory. I guess he hasnt heard an RS4.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why I bought a Miltek. I have never gotten pulled over for exhaust noise.

And my truck is louder than most audi's and I haven't gotten a ticket in that either.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

lol i have no mufflers and don't get pulled over to much.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Wait, so the law is based on visual inspection, but they detect it by sound?

Sounds hypocritical to me..
Old 02-09-2009, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Actually, the MA law is based on sound...

<b>Chapter 90: Section 16. Offensive or illegal operation of motor vehicles</b> states (in part):

No person shall operate a motor vehicle, nor shall any owner of such vehicle permit it to be operated upon any way, except fire department and fire patrol apparatus, unless such motor vehicle is equipped with a muffler to prevent excessive or unnecessary noise, which muffler is in good working order and in constant operation, and complies with such minimum standards for construction and performance as the registrar may prescribe. No person shall use a muffler cut-out or by-pass. No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust.

There is no decibal limit, but the officer just has to deem that it has been "modified" to amplify or inrease the noise. I got pulled over once, and they asked if I had a factory exhaust, to which I replied "yes, it is OEM from Audi, and you can inspect it for the manufacturer part numbers if you wish." I was told it sounded very "mean" and was sent on my way.

Some municipalities are strict on sound, and those rules vary town by town and are VERY subjective.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I see, so all exhaust shops are illegal then. as they are aftermarket.

And since Ferrari's/Vipers/Lambo's come with a mean exhaust note they are ok but penalize Audi because they came quiet? Mass is the most politically incorrect state in the union. Some of her rules borderline on ridiculous and stupidity. If any vehicle is quieter than a Ferrari/Harley then it should pass.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default As BD explained below, the law is not that it can't be changed/replaced at all, but rather that it

can't be changed/replaced to be louder than stock. If your car's significantly louder than stock, it's just a risk you have to accept. I've been pulled over for my exhaust, no ticket tho.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

S4s aren't exactly 'whisper quiet' either... what a ****.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

wow. nothing else to do i guess. BTW my car is loud and i never had a problem. (knocks on wood)
Old 02-09-2009, 09:07 AM
DxC
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default its just another bogus reason for them to pull you over thats all. i have a milltek and have been

pulled over. a milltek exhaust is REALLY quiet... the boston police just wanted to hassle me.

i did get a $50 ticket for it ...

Quick Reply: Got pulled over again in Acton for "loud exhaust"