I was ripped off and now have my back against the wall- by another Audi enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I was ripped off and now have my back against the wall- by another Audi enthusiast

Hi Folks,
As some of you may have read in the B5 A4 forum- I was boned. I bought a car off another member of the Audi community (he does not post here but on other VW and Audi websites) which ended up being a lemon.

I met the guy/kid at work, looked at the car and test drove it (in a very restricted area). He said he was being upfront about the car, and I believed him as he had listed some things that were wrong with it (such a bad O2 sensor) + he used to work at an Audi dealer. I ran a carfax on the car and it had a very interesting history- although he was able to explain it.

Anyway I took his word as he was a fellow Audi brother- it was clear from his knowledge and excitement about these cars he was an enthusiast. Plus he told me all the VW and Audi forums he posts on.

I buy the car, and the 2nd day I own it the clutch goes. I look under the car and everything is covered with oil (he must have cleaned it up before showing it to me), I find that the washer fluid sprayers dont work, and even though it "just had the front brakes done" the rotors are cracked. The car needs a bunch of other **** too including a wheel bearing and struts.

The car is now in Tony's hands at Status. Its costing me $1,000 to get the clutch replaced, and that's just the beginning.

Now- being the person I am who actually HAS A CONSCIOUS I cant simply stick it out there for sale again and pass the problems along. I would not feel right doing that.

I guess the point of this post is to remind people that- a single bad apple can ruin the barrel. I think its safe to say that we can trust most of our fellow VW and Audi lovers... but I guess its never safe to put your guard down.

I know I am going to hear from people that I should have brought the car to a mechanic first- you are right, plain and simple. I did not do my proper homework- I was wooed into purchasing the car because another audi enthusiast owned it and was "upfront" with me about the car's issues (which we have since found out not to be the case). I was happy to buy the car from him initially because he was going to use the money to buy a S4 @ waterfest... my purchase of his car was going to make me happy, as well as him, as well as the other S4 owner he was buying it from- it was going to help spread the "Audi love". Now I'm ****ed.

Anyway sorry for the gloomy post, its part venting, part mourning and part word of warning.

Ugh this totally sucks- I was so excited for a new (to me) A4...
Old 07-22-2008, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default any advice/help/knowledge would be apperciated

I need to find a place that will do the wheel bearing for cheap... at least then it will drive straight and not make a ton of noise.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Were there any signs that the clutch was going on the car?

It just seems strange that it would happen so quickly without any warning signs.

Usually the clutch starts slipping or the pedal gets difficult to press down and release.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default well we could only test drive it in a very restricted area- a center of town type place

because the kid was working and his brother came down to show us the car. It was one of those situations that you just feel so good about because they are being "honest".

But yeah right when I got the car, now that I look back on it, there were some signs of slipping.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What state are you in? In MA, IIRC all cars sold have a mandatory 30-day lemon-law clause

Even private party sales when the bill of sales says "sold as is" are covered under this law from what I've read.

Check it out, you might have some recourse to have the seller at least share the cost of the repairs.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Found this for NH
Old 07-22-2008, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Found this for NH

is anyone familiar with NH Lemon Laws?
Old 07-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Banned

Default Why were you restricted in driving the car like that?

That seems a little strange too. I alkways go out on the highway and twisty roads to get a feel for a car.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I wish It was so cut and dry...

but we got there (me and another Audiworld.comer) and we met the kid. He was packed full of knowledge showed us all the things he did to the car, explained the problems the car had and then was like my brother is going to show up and let us take it for a spin.

His brother got in the car and was directing us around. We were not familiar with area at all, and there was no opportunity to go on the highway nearby.

I am NOT making excuses I am just trying to paint a picture of what happened.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:37 PM
DxC
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default umm, lesson learned? its a pretty expensive purchase, you have to do your hw

sucks man

when it comes to buying cars especially, do not trust anyone, not even your best friends/family ...

Quick Reply: I was ripped off and now have my back against the wall- by another Audi enthusiast