OT - Need recipes for a friend who's wife just passed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT - Need recipes for a friend who's wife just passed.

Sorry for the OT but need some help and this is the only forum on AW I post in.

I just had a friend of mine lose his wife to a battle with cancer. She's been sick for about a year but the last four months were an unbelievable struggle. She passed away on Dec 26th.

They've been married for more than 20 years and she's always been a stay at home Mom so dinner was always on the table for him. Now he finds himself having to make dinner for himself and one of his sons and doesn't really know what to make most of the time. Christine and I are putting together a cookbook of SIMPLE meals that he can make and I would greatly appreciate any recipes that you all might have.

SIMPLE is the key. We'll be piecing the book together for him and having it spiral bound at Kinkos so that its an easy reference. He of course can make a hamburger etc., but if you have something like a good recipe for chili, or an easy chicken dish, that would be ideal.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ah man............ If I knew how to cook more than toast, Id chime in Mike....

Sorry for your loss... if I can think of something Ill be sure to email ya
Old 01-08-2006, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A couple of things that I can make

My brother just turned me on to crockpot ribs.

I bought 3 racks of babyback ribs; you cut the rack in half and put them in the crockpot with a large cut up white onion. Fill the crockpot with 3/4 BBQ sauce, 1/4 water. Cook on high for 4 hours. After 4 hours, take them out and lay them on a cookie sheet; broil for 30 minutes. Add a little BBQ sauce on them when they're served. They microwave up nice, too, for leftovers. I served these with corn and black beans (dirty corn). I bought 2 cans of corn and one can of black beans; mix the 2 cans with 1/2 can of black beans, microwave, done.

A REAL easy thing to do is to buy a Perdue Shortcuts chicken package (cooked white chicken chunks) and a bag of Dole salad (in the vegetable/fruit section). Put the chicken in the microwave for 10-15 minutes until it's hot, pour out some of the salad into a bowl, cover it with chicken, add salad dressing... done.

Another thing to do with Perdue shortcuts chicken is to make a pseudo fajita. Buy the chicken, a white onion, a can of green chiles, a jar of salsa, a container of sour cream, a package of shredded "Mexican" cheese or at least some Monteray Jack, and a package of flour tortillas. Cook up the chicken and slice up the onion. Now put cheese and chicken on the open tortilla on a plate, microwave for 45-60 seconds to melt cheese, add all the other ingredients, roll it up and eat it.

Really sorry about your friend's wife. That's very sad.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default real simple and useful website. good luck man, you're awesome for doing this.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.cheapcooking.com/easy-recipes.htm">Easy Recipes</a></li></ul>
Old 01-08-2006, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's my chili recipe. Not exactly easy, but good...

'Bahn Burner's Chili

Equipment needed: Bottle opener, knife, measuring spoons, can opener, large skillet, large stock pot (4-5 quart), and a wooden spoon.

1 MEDIUM - WHITE ONION

1 EACH - RED, YELLOW, AND GREEN PEPPERS

1 to 4 MIXED HOT PEPPERS (JALAPENO, CAYENNE, SCOTCH BONNET, CHERRY, AND CHILE ARE ALL GOOD ONES)

2 POUNDS - GROUND BEEF

1 SMALL CAN - OLD EL PASO GREEN CHILES

16 OUNCES - RED KIDNEY BEANS

1 LARGE CAN - BUSH'S ONION FLAVORED BAKED BEANS

16 OUNCES CRUSHED TOMATOES

16 OUNCES DICED TOMATOES

2 TABLESPOONS - CUMIN

3 TABLESPOONS - CHILI POWDER

2 TEASPOONS - PAPRIKA

2 TABLESPOONS - SALT

1 TEASPOON - GROUND BLACK PEPPER

2 TEASPOONS - GARLIC POWDER

1 TEASPOON - CRUSHED RED PEPPER (OMIT TO MAKE MILD CHILI)

1/2 TEASPOON - CAYENNE PEPPER (OMIT TO MAKE MILD CHILI)

3 TABLESPOONS - SUGAR

3 TABLESPOONS - CORNMEAL

1 BOTTLE OF SAM ADAMS SEASONAL (SUMMER, OCTOBERFEST, WINTER, WHITE) BEER

DIRECTIONS:

Dice onions &amp; cored peppers. Mince hot peppers, leaving the core seeds and peppers intact, and add onions and all peppers to large skillet with a small amount of oil. Make sure to wash your hands after mincing the hot peppers! Sautee the onion, peppers, and hot peppers on medium-high heat until onions are clear in appearance (caramelized). Add ground beef to the peppers and onions, and cook until browned. Chop up the beef with the spoon while cooking it. Drain off fat from beef mixture and set aside. Mix all the dry spices, salt, cornmeal, and sugar in small bowl. Add all remaining ingredients to large stock pot and combine the sauteed beef-onion-pepper mixture &amp; the spice-cornmeal-sugar mixture to this. Cook on medium-high heat until slow boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 1 hour. Serve immediately topped with your favorite cheddar cheese &amp; the rest of the beer. Serves 6 people.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ...And my venison meatloaf recipe. You can substitute the venison with any ground meat...

'Bahn Burner's Venison Meatloaf

Prep time: 10 min.
Cook: 8 min.
Bake: 50 min.

1/2 cup EACH finely chopped celery, onion, green bell pepper

2 teaspoons minced garlic

2 lbs. ground venison

1/2 cup quick or old fashioned oats

1/2 cup canned tomatoes, drained, chopped

1/4 cup skim milk

1/4 cup worcestershire sauce

whites from 2 large eggs

1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Heat oven to 425?F. Coat a 15x10 inch jelly roll pan and a medium non-stick skillet with non-stick cooking spray.

2. Sautee celery, onion, bell pepper and garlic in prepared skillet over medium-low heat until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes.

3. Scrape into large bowl. When cool, stir in remaining ingredients until blended. Place in center of prepared pan and shape into a 9x5 inch oval loaf.

4. Bake 50 minutes or until meat is no longer pink in center. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing.

-serve with onion &amp; mushroom gravy (sautee onions &amp; musrooms in butter/oil mix with brown sauce)

-serves 6

(you can substitute venison with ground beef, turkey, pork, or chicken as well)
Old 01-09-2006, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default super easy home-made mac & cheese

<ul><li><a href="http://www.smoe.org/jeffw/recipes/mac-and-cheese.txt">http://www.smoe.org/jeffw/recipes/mac-and-cheese.txt</a</li></ul>
Old 01-09-2006, 07:23 AM

Default You know Christines got lots of this covered already...

...but most of her recipes are somewhat complex. My stuff is easy for sure but I'm somewhat limited.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sorry to hear that =( Here is a chicken dish that's pretty easy...

Chicken Marinera
Thinly cut chicken breasts (no bone/skin)
Breadcrumbs
Flour
2 Eggs
Premade Marinera sauce (jar)

1. Make sure all the breasts are the same thickness. Ideally about 1/2 inch each. You can flatten them with your hand, or a can wrapped in saran wrap if they arent.
2. Set up 3 dishes. One with Flour spread on it, one with 2 raw eggs that you mixed up, and one with bread crumbs.
3. Using one hand (makes it a lot easier) put one breast into the flour. Get it coated lightly and pat off the extra flour.
4. Quickly dip the floured breast into the egg wash, and let the excess drip off.
5. Place the breast in the breadcrumbs. If you can wait let it sit there for a minute. Just make sure its covered all around with crumbs.
6. Get a frying pan (non stick if you have it) and put a thin amount of oil in there. Let it get to about medium heat. When its hot drop a spec of breadcrumb in there. If it bubbles fast, its hot enough.
7. Lay the chicken breast in there and flip it when the edges start to get golden brown. When both sides are golden it should be fully cooked in the center.
8. Either make pasta, or just pour some warm marinera sauce on it.

This tastes insanely good, give it a shot.

If the chicken starts to get blackish when frying, lower the heat a bit. If you use two hands to coat the chicken its ok, but you are going to get these weird breadcrumb nubs on your fingers. Kids like to help on the flour/egg/breadcrumb assembly line too.

Good luck.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default 30 min chicken. 5 minutes prep

1. Put boneless chicken breasts in a baking pan.

2. Mix a small bowl of mayo and parmesan cheese.

3. Cover chix with mayo/cheese.

4. Bake 30 minutes at 350.

Quick, simple and tasty.

Sorry to hear of your friend's loss. I can't even imagine what he's gone/going through. Good luck.

Quick Reply: OT - Need recipes for a friend who's wife just passed.