someone is trying to scam my father....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default someone is trying to scam my father....

So, a few months back he gets a call from some guy saying that he had been hit by my father. He went on to say that my fathers plate left an impression of the numbers in his bumper. That is obviously total B.S. since that is basically impossible. The weird thing is that he gave the plate number off of our old porsche. (the plates were turned in like 10 years ago). He then had someone call saying he was a NH trooper. We gave the guys info to our insurance agent (my stepfather). when he called and starting questioning him, he became evasive and nervous and hung up the phone. we thought that was it, but we just got a claim from state farm!!! and thats where we are at now.....
Old 01-07-2009, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Documentation is your friend.

Write up a history of events as a timeline.

Document as much as possible.

Insurance companies could settle and then cost you your coverage and/or drop you.

Your vigilance is needed and important.

I'll seen a similar scam before with clients.
All off a plate number obtained who knows where......

If they aren't vanity tags, it may be a good idea to rotate them (turn them in and get new at renewal time) from the DMV to attempt to thwart this.

-Scott by BOSTON
Old 01-07-2009, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Since you turned in these plates 10 years ago (or so) then you should have an easy out, so long

as you can prove that was when you turned them in. The insurance company (State Farm) should know this, as they would have records indicating which vehicles, with corresponding plate numbers, they were insuring at any given time.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: You have insurance

let them deal with it.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:25 PM
DxC
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2nd vigilance is key with insurance people ... gotta keep following up on them. i got ****ED b4

a dude on commonwealth ave in a left turn only lane suddenly realized he was in a left turn only so instantly merges right into me. the damage of the cars was kind of iffy to see what happened.

luckily i had a witness

however the insurance lady was a total bitch and was not on my side. i thought she would take care of it ... bad assumption on my part. it got marked as 50/50 fault ... UGHHHH!!!!!!

live and learn
Old 01-07-2009, 01:37 PM

Default yeah, thnx all I'm sure we'll get it straightened out. has anyone ever heard of this? I don't get t

the scam. If he is picking plates at random, does he really think that people will be like "oh, sure I must have hit you if you say its so. my ins will pick up the tab"
Old 01-07-2009, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed don't just sit by stay in touch with the insurance co. I would have told them to call the

police. I can't believe the insurance company didn't want a police report first. Once a claim is made it's on the record for years whether or not it's your fault.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

maybe he's looking to get a free bumper respray, and any victim will do?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:56 PM
tdn

Default An old neighbor of mine tried to scam my father in a similar way.

He claimed my father backed into him, that he didn't see it happen but another neighbor (whom we think he made up) was a witness. Well, this witness whom no one ever met gave my neighbor a time and day, on which no one was even around. You'd think he'd plan it a little better by figuring out when the car left and arrived.

Anyway, he also claimed paint from our car at the time was on his car.. we ask him to let us see the paint, he says he took it all off and threw it away. There was no damage/missing paint from our car.

We think he tried scamming us because both my parents are immigrants, spoke English fairly well at the time, but he may have thought we weren't familiar with the system and we'd just cave in. My father was so upset he called the police in hopes they could send some type of CSI team out to prove his innocence, I thought that was pretty funny as a little kid, I'm not sure how the conversation went, but I'm sure they laughed at the notion of sending out some sort of investigation team to investigate a dent in my neighbors car.

Anyway, the guy ended up making himself look like a fool and ended up ruining a friendship I had with his son, which was my choice. Just seemed weird hanging out with some kid who's father just tried ****ing us over.

Actually, it's not that similar at all.

There's really no point to this story besides, uh..
people suck?!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default keep us posted, I want to know how this turns out...

I hope the insurance goes after him for insurance fraud. I'm curious as to how he was able to make the claim to the insurance company, where did he get the info and your number to give you a call?

Quick Reply: someone is trying to scam my father....