New Member Welcome Area We've gathered the info you need if you are new to the AudiWorld forums

Help Purchasing 2006 A6 4.2 quattro??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Purchasing 2006 A6 4.2 quattro??

Hello every one,

If you are an owner of a 2006 A6 4.2 please get back at me.
I have found one for sale with 66k miles on it, one owner.

my main concern are any potential issues i may face. have you experienced any major flaws with your car? what are some common issue i should be prepared for repair wise?

Owner claims car is very well taken care of working on carfax.

anything in particular i should be on the look out?

Do you think i should go to an audi dealer and let them run a dianostic on it to see if any might pop up? just curious what has been your experience with a used audi

also whats insurance like?
Old 07-17-2017, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Great cars until things start to go wrong. Make certain you have adequate reserves to cover repairs going forward, Mr. Player.

Welcome aboard!
Old 07-17-2017, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an '06 A6 3.2 Quattro. I love it & lust for a 4.2! However my budget was very limited & left me looking at "high mileage" C6's. So, I avoided 4.2's, for fear of getting upper timing chain guide & tensioner replacements. Those are not an uncommon maladies on higher miles C6's. On the 4.2's, these require engine removal to rectify. However, on the 3.2's have enough space behind the engine, such, that these can be replaced without engine removal. Since, I do all my own maintenance & repair, this was a deciding issue toward a 3.2 vs. the 4.2.
That being stated, my next Audi will probably be a C6 4.2! It'll either be one needing timing chain work, that I'll get cheap & fix or, a low mileage one, like the one you're considering. I'll be carefully looking at the VCDS readings for the car, especially the "maintenance block 93" readings from the engine computer control module.
Before I bought a C6, I researched & identified the independent repair shop (indy) that I'd use for anything that I didn't want to do myself. (so far, in a yr & a half, I've only used him to replace my front struts & to guide me on where to go to get my drivers side exhaust flex pipe replaced) No one can afford to get a 12yr old one of these cars entirely maintained by the Audi dealers. I also put the VCDS software and two Audi repair & maintenance manuals onto a dedicated laptop, for my maintenance, repair & monitoring of this car.
So, find the right indy & have him do a thorough pre-purchase inspection (PPI) on the car, including a VCDS scan. The block 93 reading will tell him much about the engine's camshaft timing health. That PPI will give you a lot of confidence in your decision(& set up a good relationship with him).

Hint: 5K mile engine oil changes (vs. the 10K miles specified), with the correct specified oil goes a long, long way on engine longevity.

Like I stated earlier, I'll be getting a 4.2 but, most likely, I'll have redone the engine. 4.2's with timing chain issues go real cheap. But, you can't beat the power & smoothness, except with a V10 S6....