New Member Welcome Area We've gathered the info you need if you are new to the AudiWorld forums

New S5 owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New S5 owner

First Audi for me, coming from a 2012 VW CC. Might have seen this intro post if you're on other Audi forums. Still trying to find my new "home" forum. Poking around and seeing how many posts there are in tech I think this is probably the one. Big time DIY guy.

Been looking for a certified S5 cab, in sepang blue, with sport diff for a while and "the one" finally popped up at Audi Atlanta. Worked the deal over the with phone lots of pics and facetime walkarounds. I hopped on a 6am flight to Atlanta from Buffalo Friday. Car is a 2015 Audi S5 cabriolet, 20k miles, CPO, sports diff, tech package, rotor wheels, Bang Olufsen stereo and carbon atlas inlays in sepang blue. Basically every option I wanted which is why I was willing to fly and drive it 1000 miles home.

Got to Audi Atlanta by 9am thanks to an amazing Uber driver that did the 1 hour estimated rush hour drive in 40 minutes and they had the car all ready to go with a GA temp tag. Presented me a little red Audi box that looked like something you'd get a high end retirement watch in and inside were the two smart keys and a sweet Audi Atlanta keychain. Nice touch Audi Atlanta. They pulled the car up and helped me sync my phone so I could immediately have some tunes for the long drive back.

New S5 owner-jizcqpa.jpg

I decided to make a real car guy road trip out of it and hit up Cherohala Skyway and Tail of the Dragon (two of the best driving roads in the US). WHAT A RIDE! Obviously with a very new to me car on public roads I wasn't pushing 10/10ths but it was still fast. At one point a Fiat 124 Abarth caught up to me so I let him pass then proceeded to nip at his back bumper for about 5 miles. This was definitely the hardest I pushed on the trip. When he pulled off at an overlook I did too and we had a good laugh. We both had to hop back in our cars quick though because both had smoke coming off the brakes and we knew it was not good to let the hot brakes sit like that. So a couple miles of very relaxed driving and happy to report the brakes are fine with no issues. Got to drive about 80% of it with the top down, had to put it for a short section because I hit a passing downpour.

New S5 owner-srppcsz.jpg

New S5 owner-jiz4kpt.jpg

New S5 owner-hhjr8kf.jpg

New S5 owner-i57trqa.jpg

Cherohala Skyway basically drops you right at the start of Tail of the Dragon so that was up next. With the rain showers on and off all morning it couldn't have been a better time to be there. I got to drive the entire thing with the top down and there was no traffic in front of me. I pushed it taking a chance with the law and got lucky with no tickets. Got to chase a Saturn Sky Redline for several miles but eventually let him pull away because after 150 turns and only being 1/2 way through the Dragon you start to get tired. Did the rest of it at about 5/10ths and just enjoyed the scenery and buttery smooth twistys. Did end up buying a shot from killboy.com:

New S5 owner-akh1sdm.jpg

Made it to just north of Cincinnati Friday around 9pm and I was whooped so stayed over at a cheap hotel. Back on the road before 5am since I couldn't get back to sleep and at home by 11am Saturday.

New S5 owner-pyl7qxh.jpg

Northtown VW finally finished up the warranty rust repairs on the CC (both front fenders and the trunk lid) so I can get it sold and free up some space in my driveway.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:37 PM
Former Vendor

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Congratulations on the new S5! She's definitely a looker in that Sepang Blue. Enjoyed the read, almost felt like I was along with you on the long trip back. Glad you made it back one piece. Look forward to seeing some more shots as you get deeper into ownership.

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2019, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new ride!