I'm moving to New Jersey...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm moving to New Jersey...

So I'm moving to New Jersey in a couple of weeks, from New Milford, CT. I got a job in West New York, and I'm looking to move to Hoboken?Union City/Weehawken. I have been to NJ only about 4 times in my life. Any advice??? I know one person there, my cousin. What are the best mechanics in the area? What are good towns to live in that are close to West New York? I'd like to have a safe place to keep my Audi (98.5 2.8Q) and be able to take public transportation to work.

Just wanted to give the AW forum a try, maybe someone from the area?
Old 07-19-2004, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm so sorry, I really am....

well, you are from NM... so you're used to cr@ppy towns...
(I've spent way too much of my life there too lol)

be very careful, that area of Jersey is a very high crime area for these cars. in hoboken, parking is awful on the street, and garages are hard to come by.
weehawken is nice... but also hard for parking. garages are more plentiful.
a good place to find roomates ( if that's what you're looking for) is Craigslist.org
or you can just find single rentals on there too...
I have an ex in both weehawken and ho-broken
they;re both nice areas. the broken is better for going out and being with a lot of other professional types . weehawken is a lot less of that, but offers some nice houses and whatnot.

there are plenty of mechanics and other Audi peeps to help you out with car stuff...

check the online postings, and newspapers for areas to live... no matter what, get extra security for your car... you're going from an area where you could leave your keys in the car for a minute while you went into the cookhouse, to an area where after you've locked your car and put a club ( hah, b.s. security device) on it, thieves will have it gone before you've gotten your jacket off inside yourhouse...

just a warning.. some of us have learned teh hard way...

I'd almost reccomend keeping the audi at someone else house if you're going to be using public trans most of the time, or long terming it in a garage somewhere.... it's just easier that way. you can walk to most areas of hoboken...
Old 07-19-2004, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default great...

Yeah, i know NJ's not the best area to live in, but i just graduated college and need to move out. I was planning to rent a garage or something like that, and just use the bus most of the time. And i dont plan on living there for more than a couple of years. Thanks for the advice, though, and i'll check out the craigslist.org website.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:47 PM

to name a few.... Audimoto & myself are 2 victims of stolen vehicles in this area
Old 07-19-2004, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try Wehauken or Palisades or Englewood or Ridgfield Park.

Still close to WNY, but a bit better area.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default agreed on that one...

you might have a better deal living farther away and driving into work if possible..

good luck to you, whatever happens...

we're all in the general area, we'll help you out if we can...
Old 07-19-2004, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Edgewater......

is the nicest option...but it's pricey...but if you can swing it...it's only a couple of miles from West NY
Old 07-20-2004, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Edgewater......

Thanks Evil, i heard that's a nice town too, and I'll check it out. I almost certainly will not be driving to work, there is NO parking there. Poor audi :-(
Old 07-20-2004, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hoboken has the ferry and the path
Old 07-20-2004, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you can get a garage, you'll be fine.

That's a great area. Beautiful view around Edgewater. NYC is spitting distance as well as lots of great little towns on the NJ side. Don't be turned off by the theft although it's prevalent. Like I said, if you can get a garage you'll be ok.

Quick Reply: I'm moving to New Jersey...