NYC area Scuba Divers...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 09:55 PM
f3d
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NYC area Scuba Divers...

i need a refresher course, as i havent gone diving in a few years. If anyone wouldbe interested in getting a group together for a course around here let me know.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:51 AM

Default How long is a few years?

I just did a trip, and hadn't been in the water for about 4 years. If you have a few dives under your belt, it's like riding a bike.

Where I went, they wanted $160 for a 'refresher' course, but that may have included a 2-tank boat trip with an instructor. The local shop does them once a month for ~$60, or you can rent pool time for $25.

Keep me posted if you're doing any local diving.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:32 AM
f3d
AudiWorld Uber User

Default its been at least 6 yrs

Ive completed Advanced openwater PADI cert back i nthe day, but my last dive was a lobster dive with my instructor after i completed the course. (I actually saw my instructor on Discovery chan talking about sharks a few weeks after) I def. need a refresher course and id like to take one up here in NY as all my training was in s.FL and conditions are quite different up here.

Where do you go diving around here? id love to do a few wreck dives.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:48 PM

Default Lots of wrecks off LI

There are charter boats off LI and NJ shore that hit many of them, running $60-75 / trip, no equip or tanks included usually. Check your local shops to see if they have schedules, I've picked up a few recently from the Hoboken Dive Center and BlueWater Divers here in NJ. The Eagle's Nest leaves from the end of the Loop Parkway on lI for relatively shallow (~50-60 ft.) dives every Sunday afternoon.

Conditions up here, especially ocean conditions, are MUCH differnent than FL. The worst day down there as far as waves and current was a typical day up here, and visibility is usually only 5-10 ft. if you're lucky. That's not to mention all the extra exposure protection, gear, and weight you have to deal with.

Keep me posted if you're going to go. Also, I've been thinking of renewing my Medic First Aid cert and taking the Rescue Diver course, if you're interested...
Old 05-25-2004, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sure dude, been at least 6 years for me 2....

I have my open water and advanced cert, just haven't gone what with lawschool after college, and then trying to make my way in the world financially.

But I'd be down and I have a couple of pals who would be interested too.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:15 PM
f3d
AudiWorld Uber User

Default sweet

def interested in the rescue diver course. I already have CPR/AED cert for healthcare providers. the Eagle's Nest leaves from a dock at the end of my street (never knew about it). I might be able to find someone with a boat also. If there are any beach dives around LI id be down for that anytime. only problem...no drysuit. my wetsuit prolly wont be enough now...
Old 05-25-2004, 05:53 PM

Default For wetsuit, you'll most likely want 6mm 2 piece...

That gives you 12mm on the chest. Many people dive like that in the summer months, but you have to carry alot of weight to get down with that.

Where are you? I'll keep it in mind when looking for Rescue Diver course. I was going to do it in NJ, but PanAqua in Manhattan is a good shop, and may look into it there if you're interested.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:07 PM
f3d
AudiWorld Uber User

Default re:...

ah mines just a 1 piece 2mm Slippery from my jetskiing days...it worked well in FL (saved me from a couple fire coral encounters) but i doubt its of any use up here... Im on LI actually right by that one dive boat you mentioned. Its down the block from my house. but my lease ends end of june. Ill see what i can do with the wetsuit situation. Let me know about the rescue course. i missed one i coulda had NJ state pay for last summer (Volunteer Ambulance corps). that one also included swift water rescue....

really sucks i missed that one...