Woohoo.. I got motorcycle permit.. = ) Advice for a beginner rider...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woohoo.. I got motorcycle permit.. = ) Advice for a beginner rider...

Im not going to get a bike just yet, first Im going to take a motorcycle course, get my license then Ill get a bike..

Im not too sure if Im heading in the right direction but one place that I found says after spending two days with them I am eligable for a road test waiver... The course costs $380, and seems like a pretty good deal... Is this my best option? BTW, Im in NY..

As far as riding goes, my plans are to do lots of track riding.. Im not too eager to ride on the street due to what Ive seen happen to friends on bikes.. Ive always wanted a bike, but I have a hard time trusting the people I share the roads with which is why I prefer to stick to the track riding..

It seems like most people recommend a suzuki SV650 as a beginner bike because it lacks fairings and some recommend the CBR600 F4i .. Since Im going to be keeping the bike on the track for most of the time I would like a bike that will keep me happy on the track, meaning something that is reliable and will keep me happy after I get better at riding.. So I guess that means no ducatis?

So what exactly should I look for in a bike as a beginner looking to do track events?<ul><li><a href="http://www.mssnyc.com/mrc.asp?loc=yonkers">Basic rider course</a></li></ul>
Old 05-20-2004, 03:53 PM

Default take the MSF (2 day course/test waiver)

and sv650 is perfect for both street and track. check out sv650.org for what you can do with an sv650 when you're ready for track.

the best way? buy sv650...ride in around..get used to the bike, if you're gonna hit the track without many street miles, then take a course such as keith codes' superbike school....sv650 for a beginner track rider is fine as is...as you get quicker/better, you'll want to get new forks as the front end on the sv is somewhat soft, and is not that adjustable...most people will throw on a gixxer fork/rear...also aftermarket fairings thrown on will make it look as sporty as a faired sportbike.

vtwin engine is def. optimal..plus the twin engine note is like listening to a nice v8 growl of an s4 with pipes (open pipes) vs. a whineeee of a honda civic (inline four sportbike)

oh. most importantly WEAR YOUR GEAR. most people will stop at leather jacket/gloves/helmet/jeans. i recommend joe rocket hustler pants for street riding, leather jacket, gloves, full face lid (buy a new one), and most importantly race boots (such as sidi race verts)....they WILL save your ankles from snapping if god forbid you go down PLUS, since you plan on riding track, these are what you'll need...and yes, race verts are very comfy...

good luck and ride your own pace...ride for yourself and not for others (meaning don't worrya bout how you look ride...just don't be a squid).

also check out tristatesportbikes.com, and cycleforums.com

campas12 is my sn on there..
Old 05-20-2004, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for all the advice.. I was hoping you would reply..

I should have actually been a little more clear when I put my post together, at this point in time I really don't see myself riding on the street.. Ive always wanted to experience the thrill of riding a street bike (ever since I got my first dirt bike as a kid) but after seeing what happens when some moron plows into a guy sitting at the light I don't want to worry about getting killed... Ive had 2 friends in the past 10 years get hit while sitting at a light (1 guy got dragged a block before the guy realized what happened) and my baseball coach was paralyzed by some 16 year old girl that ran a light..

I love bikes, and loved riding on the dirt but now I really want to get on a street bike but don't want to deal with having to worry about some guy cutting me off and going over the bars.. Does that make any sense to just want to ride on the track? Do people do that or am I on my own boat?

Thanks again for all the advice.. I do intend on getting all the gear needed, I noticed that some events allow two piece leathers as long as they zip together.. What do you recommend? A two piece or a one piece? When it comes to safety gear I don't mind spending the extra money, Id rather do some over time then spend some time in ICU.. I already have a helmet which I bought for racing my car I just need to pickup everything else .. The helmet I got now is an Arai quantum f..
Old 05-20-2004, 06:22 PM

i'm thinking about getting my NJ bike permit tommorow
Old 05-20-2004, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Im not sure how the NJ test is but the NY test was pretty easy..

I read the entire book that they have, and banged out a hundred.. They did have a few tricky questions which weren't in the motorcycle handbook (probably in the automotive handbook) but its stuff you should know if you drive a car.. In NY its 20 questions (it was 5 when I got the permit for my automotive license)..
Old 05-20-2004, 07:15 PM

Default a lot of people do track only

i myself am considering it since i barely ride street anymore. if you already have dirt experience then you should be fine to get on the track...main difference being you DONT want the back end to slide, and you want to get your weight inside and lower rather than being over and pushing the bike under you a la dirt. hell, you might even try super motard....it's basically riding dirt style, cornering dirt style, but on road track...

all clubs i know allow 2pc suits, i would highly recommend a one piece though for track only riding.

if you want the best, go for either vanson's custom...barnacle bills custom, or z racing leathers- custom will be best for track and the leather itself is better quailty. if you want off the rack, theres' a lotta companies out there but i'd stick to custom. if you want to save money go to newenough.com (don't be fooled by the name)...they always have good deals. also check out motorcycleleatherexchange.com again don't be fooled by the name

vanson/zracing/helimot/barnacle bills= top and can be had for around 900 bucks.

off the rack leathers which are cheap but good= look for agv suits, and teknic- teknic is cheapest, but does the job it's made for.

mid level- look for corner, rs taichi, spidi, dainese

i'd stay away from icon, joe rocket...alpine stars...not cause they protect less, but rather, they'll protect you as much as teknic leathers, but at corner/rstaichi prices

also make sure you get cowhide vs. goatskin.

arai obviously is good lid...though if it's been banged around, or is more than 4 years old, id' replace- main difference is that mc lids are made for the most part, one big hit

check out nysportbikeclub.com/nesba/team promotion for track clubs, i prefer nysportbiukeclub myself since it's a very small club with not many members, and it's more like riding with a good buncha friends that rent out the track. def. get more seat time with this club.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I can't thank you enough... You've been a huge help..

My lid is in excellent condition.. Fortunately its been barely used, it doesn't have a single scratch on it..

Hearing that there are people that only ride on the track makes me feel better.. I would love to ride on the street with my friends but I just don't think its worth it.. Id rather have my fun on the track and not have to worry about some looney with a 4000lbs vechicle..

Thanks again for all your help.. I really appreciate it.. Ill keep you all updated on the situation.. Now I gotta schedule an appointment for the safety school.. Thanks again...

-John
Old 05-20-2004, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I just put on 70 miles today -- my first legal ride by myself! :-)
Old 05-20-2004, 07:35 PM

Default well, i will say, if you know dirt bikes, you know how to ride

the only advantage of the MSF is to teach how to be wary and what to look for on the street. oh, and it means you can skip having someone go with you on your bike to take the test.

oh, and if it makes you feel better, a lot of pro riders/racers don't ride street.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:35 PM

i wish i still enjoyed street riding to do that=/

Quick Reply: Woohoo.. I got motorcycle permit.. = ) Advice for a beginner rider...