Pacific Northwest Discussion

Any of you do your own bodywork/paint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any of you do your own bodywork/paint?

I just picked up a 97 VW cabrio (sparkly blue/purple) with low miles for next to nothing and the only thing holding me back from reselling it for a profit is the body. It has been keyed and has alotta scratches in the paint as well as some small dents. I'm confident in my body filling/ sanding abilities and have painted houses ans such over the years. Anyways, I've been contemplating getting a spraygun and compressor for awhile for helmet painting and my bikes, and was thinking I could do the painting myself on this car. I only have a basement to setup in so I would have to remove the doors and fenders to prep them and such. Whadya guys think?
Old 01-06-2008, 06:55 PM

Default Good starting point.

You could pickup a spare fender or door or something to practice on, read up on the internet about it and then paint the car. If it doesnt work out. Just repaint it. Heck ya never know, you may become really good at it.

Are you going to be able to paint the entire car? Because you will def want to blend the paint so you dont have two different tones of color on the car.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Good starting point.

Yeah, that's a good idea. My truck and Audi has some scratches that I'd love to fix as well. I think I can do this. It'll be fun actually and a good skill to have.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Elder Member

Default Do not spray parts seperate... The paint will not dry and lay out the same as it would bolted...

On the car.

If you can avoid that, that would be best.

Prepping is the MOST important part. Also the least fun.

Spraying is fairly easy and it's a blast to do. Make sure you wear a resporator also.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Do not spray parts seperate... The paint will not dry and lay out the same as it would bolted...

Well the alternative would be to spray it in my driveway and I know that wouldn't work. Maybe if I built some sort of 2x4 structure that I could wrap in plastic to use as a spray booth in my driveway.
Both sides of the car need painting really so maybe pull the doors/ fenders to do prep and then reinstall them to paint. Do these cars have one coat of clearcoat or is it just paint?
Old 01-07-2008, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

used to, can't say it's my cup o' tea.