Pacific Northwest Discussion

I just heard that's its illegal to have an exhaust that is louder than OEM...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just heard that's its illegal to have an exhaust that is louder than OEM...

...just saw two posts on another local car forum where people were getting pulled over by the State Patrol for having aftermarket exhausts. They were told that it was illegal to have an exhaust that was even 1 dB louder than stock and the exhaust was going to need to be removed, the State Patrol is going to start to enforce this law I guess...

Here is the RCW (46.37.390):

<i>(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.</i>

<a href="http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.390">Link to RCW 46.37.390</a>

What are your guys thoughts on this? My exhaust is modified but its somewhat quiet compared to most other STi's. I know there are some S4's on here that have even louder exhausts then mine...
Old 12-14-2006, 08:21 AM

That last sentence sounds like a pretty big loophole..."reasonable grounds" seems pretty vague.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the key to this is if it is an offense they can pull you over for

if this offense allows the police to pull you over you are basically fubar'd. If it is not an offense they can pull you over for then don't fvck around on the roads and they will not have a reason to pull you over.

Generally these are what we called fvck you tickets. When we caught you speeding, walked up and you you responded to me like a fvcknut would. I would add a couple of fvck-u tickets. IE no liscensplate lite, seatbelt, stero to loud, bald tires.

Then when you went before the judge he would generally slap you with the speeding ticket or the balance of the other infractions and not the speeding ticket. Rarely did i see a judge dump the whole lot on a person.

again M2C in a world of 20 dollar bills.

thanks for posting KRS.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:32 AM

Default Agreed...sure seems like cops would have better things to do than listen for 1db overs in exhausts.

And I certainly have better things to do than try and prove "reasonable grounds" in court. Good thing I'm just running stock exhaust (for now!!).
Old 12-14-2006, 08:35 AM

Default I'm torn.

We have a neighbor down the street that has a very loud aftermarket exhaust on his mid-size Chevy Trailblazer. Since he comes up the hill to go past our house, he is under load. No matter what is happening in our house, you can hear it almost everytime. Its pretty irritating early in the morning. My four year old son usually runs in the house if he hears it outside -- he calls it the loud truck.

On the other hand, I'm all for people modding their cars performance via exhaust upgrade.

Personally, I would prefer an exhaust that increases performance and keeps the noise/drone at stock levels or less, but those are usually the more expensive systems.

Like I said, I'm torn on it.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:59 AM

Default There is another "noise" law, it said there was a DB limit to exhasut

&amp; they needed a SPM to test them @ 1m.

I believe it is a primary offense, I know a few people who have been pulled over for loud exhaust coming home from Bremerton raceways on RT16.

I love it how a Harley is legal, &amp; old big V8 trucks are some how legal. But a new import is not, even if it is quieter then the rest.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:01 AM
Former Vendor

Default I think this is why Milltek makes their exhausts so quiet in general.

Because of laws like this in europe.

Now, on the otherhand, how the fvck is a police officer supposed to know the stock DB levels of every car out exhaust there, a handbook with every model in there? Seems ridiculous.

Although, when I had my old B5 S4 (Red one with a fairly loud exhaust) I got pulled over on my way to vancouver canada. The cop was in a freakin minivan, but anyways. He checked out all the aftermarket parts on my car and tried to measure the DB level of the exhaust. He couldn't because the highway traffic was too loud, thankfully. He was a nice guy and let me go with a warning.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:03 AM
Former Vendor

Not ones in bellevue, lol.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

They need a device to test the noise in order for the ticket to hold up - don't ask me how I know.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Gives the gistapo another reason to pull you over to check on things.

Papers Please...

Some how, they will find something and ticket. Tickets = $$$ for the Third Reich

Quick Reply: I just heard that's its illegal to have an exhaust that is louder than OEM...