Pacific Northwest Discussion

OT: Looking for laptop for college next month and need help from any computer WIZ's

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Lane Shark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default link for the lazy

<ul><li><a href="http://www.delloutlet.com">http://www.delloutlet.com</a</li></ul>
Old 07-15-2006, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

not to mention it'll dual boot XP and OSX
Old 07-16-2006, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

but if you dual boot, won't your non crashing mac become a bsod horror show?
Old 07-16-2006, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i did what i swore i would never do....and bought a dell

so far its been a great school lap top. i will suggest two things that you will find EXTREMELY important over the long run if you're taking this to school daily.

SIZE

if you don't need a big screen, dont get it. they're bulky to lug around.

WEIGHT

a 5.5 lb laptop doesn't sound heavy, but will get on your nerves over the long run. spend the extra cash and get a 3-3.5pounder.

also, you may want to check asu (i assume thats where you're going) bookstore to see if they sell computers. i know uw bookstore does, and gives big discounts on mac products.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It really depends on what exactly you use it for

if you want it to just use it for word processing, internet browsing, and **** downloading... i would say to get a mac ibook. They are small, sleek and sexy.

If you wanted to use it for a gaming system, graphics system, yadda yadda, i would say get a Dell (only laptop, though). The software support for mac is getting better, but most (if not all) of the software you will be using is built for windows.

Dell laptops arent that bad and its easy to get financing for it. Dont get a Dell desktop... dont get a compaq laptop, dont get a sony. A Toshiba would be ok.... i dont know much about HP's, they use to be total crap, but i havent heard recent news on them.

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I actually biuld computers for people... I would still tell you to look at mac for a laptop

They have something in every price range. I just bought a 17" high res. power book with max memory and ram and it only cost me $1700 with shipping on ebay. Came with many extras too. I only say this for school because it is very easy to use in all situations. video's, photo's, typing programs, built in internet. You can do it all on a mac. leave the pc on the desk at home, and you can still run windows programs now, so you can go back and forth between the two. on a smaller bugdet you could probably get a very good 15" system for 700 or 800. You could get something cheaper too, but what is the piont.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:17 AM

Default Sharp Actius MM20, the smallest notebook would be good for school..

its good for taking notes in class, and have another one at home. For me, I have the mm20 for traveling/ in class, and use the powerbook 17" for heavier stuff.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd... You can also find some like acer lap tops on newegg.

Really we need a better idea of what you want to do with it.

Sony's are infested with crap programs.. they eat up memory and hdd space and are a PIA. you'd be best off purchasing a seperate copy of windows and formatting the whole thing.

My parents have a HP and it is nice, but for the same money you can find a acer or dell with more features and specs.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Lane Shark

Price? where'd you get the MM20 from?
Old 07-17-2006, 04:20 PM

Default around a grand..got it from NY. you can buy directly from sharp too..

priced about the same, only I got free CD/R drive and memory card from the NY store.

0.62" thick, only 2 lbs.<ul><li><a href="http://www.sharpsystems.com/">http://www.sharpsystems.com/</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: OT: Looking for laptop for college next month and need help from any computer WIZ's