Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

12V turbo update.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2001, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12V turbo update.

Well, I haven't posted anything about my car lately because I haven't done any significant changes. My car is a '94 90 12v V6. The engine is turbocharged, and runs 10 pounds of boost on a daily basis. The turbo is a garrett T3/T4, and charge air is cooled by a large front mount intercooler. Fuel delivery is currently from 2 550cc injectors mounted before the throttle body, timing is stock. This setup has performed fairly well for the past 25,000km. However, my current setup is far from optimal. Occasional detonation, inconsistent performance, rich idle, and soggy throttle response are a few of my complaints. The car is fast but can use some work. Clearly the car would benefit from better engine management. After looking at many options, I finally decided to go with a fully programmable ECU. Electromotive's TEC-II. This will handle fueling, ignition, and boost control. The stock computer will remain to control things like idle. The car is currently in the shop having all the sensors, fuel injectors, and fuel pump installed. I will do the remainder of the installation, and all the tuning myself in the next few weeks. Finally JE pistons (8.5:1) and Oliver connecting rods are on order, in preparation for a complete rebuild beginning this summer.
Old 03-04-2001, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sounds nice...

but after all that has been done wouldn't it have been cheaper just to get an S4 motor and drop it in
Old 03-05-2001, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default There's a lot to be said for having something unique and having done it yourself!

Generally, I hate this kind of response, because there's always something better on the horizon. So, no matter what you have there's always something better so somebody can ask why don't you have the latest and greatest.
I'm sure everybody here has a P4 in their computer!
Old 03-05-2001, 06:44 AM

Default Really Impressive..

Yeah you could get a S4 engine, or their are probably other ways to get more speed that are easier.

but damn, when someone does something like this on their own I think its impressive regardless of the results.
Old 03-05-2001, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default True it's definitely unique

And cool. Just for the time and trouble, there would have been easier solutions.
Old 03-05-2001, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: True it's definitely unique

I would have to disagree, a complete engine swap would be complex, and expensive. I will have a fully built 450hp+ engine with complete programmable engine management for less than it would cost to swap in a 2.7tt, not to mention how much it would cost to upgrade to the power levels I intend. My goal all along has been to build a fast and unique car on a certain budget, and I feel that staying with the 12v is the best way to accomplish my goals. Currently I estimate the car has around 280hp, and I anticipate that with the TEC-II installed and correctly tuned I will be able to get around 350hp @12psi of boost on 94 octane. I intend to see how far an internally stock 12v can be pushed, since I plan on rebuilding it anyways. The total cost for the tec + turbo is around 7000$(USD). A full rebuild will at least double this figure, and will bring me to about what it would cost to drop in a 2.7tt. The merits of a single turbo 2.8l V6 versus a twin turbo 2.7L V6 can be debated, my choice however is clear.
Old 03-05-2001, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What?

I found a new S4 for $2500. No offense, but I fail to see how your project would cost less than this one. You engine should be pretty sweet once you get it all sorted out though. I'd love to see some pics of it when it is finished. BTW- who is doing all the custom work?
Old 03-05-2001, 02:40 PM

Default That makes you my new best friend.

I have a similar car but with significantly less power. I have only now added a intake system from TAP. How does the car run with a turbo charger and how did you get it on tyhe motor.
thanx
Old 03-05-2001, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: What?

Well, I would think 2500 for a 2.7tt is an amazing deal. What would a complete new engine cost? Including a wiring harness, ecu, turbos, intercoolers, and all accessories to do a clean swap, plus labour etc, and then all the mods to bring this up to the 350hp equivalent I estimate I will have from my current 7000$ investment, not to mention the flexibility over a simple chip I will have with my engine management. I will not say which one is more cost effective, I do not want to get into a long debate, the cost of such a swap depends on many factors. I will say that I am able to personally justify my turbo 12v as a simple and cost effective alternative to a 2.7tt swap. It would be interesting to see some actual numbers on the cost of a 2.7tt swap into a B4 90, so they can be compared with mine. All of the work has been done by Advance EFI, a small shop near Montreal that specializes in custom turbo applications. Finally, going by your reasoning, why did you go with the PES supercharger instead of the S4 engine? S4 engine=2500$ plus ?$ for installation, and Pes sc=4995$. Just keeping it interesting.

Regards,
Robert
Old 03-05-2001, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I did PES because...

when I ordered my car August 98, The S4 was still a rumor to even exist, let alone get here to the US. So I decided to place my order on what would bring in the most HP at the time. APR hadn't rolled out Stage 3 or 3+ yet (nor was it known) so i decided 280hp from the 30v was the way to go. Well, if the S4 was available when I ordered, I would have done that.

Quick Reply: 12V turbo update.