Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

12v turbo update

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v turbo update

Just a quick update for anyone who is interested in what's going on with my turbocharged 90. I pulled the engine two weekends ago in order to have a full rebuild completed. Including

JE 8.5:1 pistons (.020 over)
stock rods (shot peened)
ARP rod bolts
stock cams
shimed vavle springs
S4 headgaskets
raceware headstuds
new main bearings
improved clutch
headwork including port and polishing
TDL headers
there is more I've just forgotten

All this is in preparation for running up to 18psi of boost which will be approaching the limits of both the drivetrain and the 550cc injectors. My hopes are reaching 450hp (crank), I intend to eventually go down to maryland where there is an AWD dyno for some real numbers.

Most parts were sourced through TDL racing which has been quick in providing parts and very professional. I should also add the headers are gorgeous, and as they are the first set made for the 90 series when the engine goes back in the car I will report back with fitment and performance impressions.

Engine teardown is complete, the shop reports that the engine shows practically no wear after 35,000km of turbocharged abuse. Hopefully I should have some photos of engine reassembly in a few weeks.
Old 09-28-2001, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very Cool! I'll be going up to TDL in Nov. for the Pistons, rods, etc...so let me know how it goes.

And Good Luck!

BTW, what injectors are you using? I've been thinking about some 300cc injectors, but haven't been able to find out too much info about what injectors would be compatible with the 12V engine. I know they are high impedance, and I believe they are 200CC, but that's about all I've been able to find out.

And where in MD is the AWD dyno and how much will it cost? I'm in PA, so it might not be too far away for me...

Thanks,
Scott
Old 09-28-2001, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wait...you said that there's an AWD dyno in Maryland. Where?
Old 09-29-2001, 03:14 PM

FYI - Curry's in Ashburn, (northern) VA just installed an AWD dyno.
Old 09-30-2001, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2001, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Justin - It looks like this is about 4 hours from us....(m)

Maybe we should start planning on going down there sometime this spring? I would want to have new injectors and a fuel computer in by this time, and some dyno tuning would be very beneficial.

I wonder if it would make sense for you, Rob, and myself to all go down at the same time and rent an entire day of Dyno time. Since Rob is getting some TDL stuff too, maybe it would be beneficial for Lloyd to come down as well.

Let me know what you think.
For me, it'll probably come down to the cost of renting the Dyno, and how much assistance we get when tuning our cars - running my car on a dyno without somebody there to help me tune things would probably be a waste of time.

Scott
Old 09-30-2001, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default AWD dyno

I have found most of the AWD dyno information over on the i-club.com subaru forum. The two east coast AWd dyno locations I was able to find are Altered Atmosphere in Gaithersburg, MD (http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/). The other east coast one is acs racing in Hanover, MA(http://www.acsracing.com/). I would anticipate prices beign 200$+ per hour. Once I get my car up and running some dyno time will be in my future. It would be fun to plan a dyno day for this spring.
Old 09-30-2001, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds like a plan. I'd love to finally see some numbers, and I'm sure a lot of other people...

would like to see them as well (the 12v Yahoo Crew comes to mind). Running both of our cars at the same time should give everyone some really good data to chew on. And it will be a nice chance to get them running at their optimum levels, provided that someone who knows how tune will be at our disposal.

Now that I know about these facilities, I would love to do this sooner than later. But I understand why you might want to wait until you have all of the work finished on your car.

Still, it might be nice to do a little before-and-after comparison. If I could take my car down there for a quick run for the sole purpose of getting a HP number, I would be happy as a clam. I'm not sure how much time would be necessary just to do that (would an hour be enough?), but I'd be willing to drop $200 just to know.

Would you have any interest in taking a day off work some time soon to head down with me? If we find out that we can get a HP number after an hour of rental time I would do it in a second. For as much work as both of us have done to our cars to date, I would have no problem putting a vacation day and $200 toward some numbers. I have more mods to do, too, but I'd really like to know where my car stands NOW.

Let me know. Shoot me an e-mail or give me a call on my cell-phone some time at 724-321-4513.
Old 10-01-2001, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You have mail...