Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

30v build up questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30v build up questions

To start, i have searched the forum and have found much useful info, but still need some missing peices filled in for me.

I am getting ready to build a 2.8 30v engine from the ground up. I am new to Audi and am having a hard time finding things like connecting rods and pistons. I am going to be running some sort of stand alone engine management, not sure wich yet, new ignition system and a modified PES supercharger. I really need some stronger internals.

Any help would be appreciated, i would love to get this built and find a good combination to develop horse power for all those 30v out there.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-01-2004, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IMHO, you're not going to get...

...enough airflow out of a PES (Eaton) SC to require a lower compression ratio. They just simply don't flow that much air. You'd be further ahead just figuring out a way to install an IC to the SC.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:16 AM

Default Re: IMHO, you're not going to get...

I agree that i wont need a lower compresson, I am a little more interested in just having stronger internals, such as rods, valves, springs, and retainers.

As for the supercharger, i have been thinking about running a setup more like the G1, were i can have a IC setup, instead of the G2. Either way, i am shooting for 350 safe and reliable horsepower, and am worried about teh strength of the internals of the engine.

Thanks for the input
Old 04-01-2004, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You'll have trouble...

...getting that much HP out of that SC. It just doesn't flow that much air. With a high efficency IC you may be able to come close though.

The engine will handle that HP okay, I'd be more worried about your tranny. You'll toast your tranny before the engine.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:47 AM

Default Re: You'll have trouble...

I did think of that, i do have a 6speed out of an s4 and plan on buying a stronger clutch, im still in the hunt for an s4 rear diff.

Any advice on a different supercharger then, I wasn't planning on buying a PES kit, but ordering that same supercharger directly. I have been researching different superchargers, but can't seem to find what im looking for, so used to working an american v8's, have to change my thought process completely on this engine
Old 04-01-2004, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The M62 is just too small to support....

..HP numbers as high as you want to go. It can probably do it but you will be pushing it at it's limit (more heat). You should look at getting at 450-500 CFM of air blowing through the SC.

The M90 and M112 will flow that much air pretty easily. The M112 is pretty big though so you may have trouble actually feeding it enough air to get it to boost (to stop freewheeling). M90 won't be much better.

I don't really like the Eaton's. They are more about drivability then power. The PES set-up actually takes a while for the SC to "kick-in" do to this freewheeling action. This causes the PES SC kit to give up a lot of it's advantage. The BPV creates a lot of low torque problems too.

Perhaps look at a Whipple but those tend to throw out more heat. The lysholm SC's are soooo spendy. I was in the same position as you not too long ago. In the end, I dropped the SC idea and moved over to a turbo. The SC just had too many drawbacks for me.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Default PES uses the M62, not the larger M90. The M112 is much too large for a 2.8L...

M62 can pump up to 420cfm, with a dT of round 50F. The M90 pump up to around 540cfm with a dT of around 40F.

http://www.automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_controls/M62.html
http://www.automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_controls/M90.html
http://www.automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_controls/M112.html

Also, what I'm trying to figure out is how people with 3B/AAN swaps in CQ/B3q/B4q's can have problems with the 01A, but people like Javad, Jim Greene, etc don't have problems running over 300 WHEEL hp from EFI'd 10vt engines, which produce some pretty healthy torque numbers too. Doesn't add up to me...

And, take a look at a Lysholm and compare it to an Eaton. Not much different really, from what I've seen and heard (in fact, I heard that some of the common Lysholm's WERE Eaton units).

" Current customers using Eaton Superchargers:

Buick GS
Buick Riviera
Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Pontiac Bonneville
Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Oldsmobile LSS
Holden Commodore (Australia)
Mercedes C-Class
Mercedes SLK Roadster
Jaguar XJR
Aston Martin Vantage & DB7"
Old 04-01-2004, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Doh, edited....

....been a whlle since I looked.

The heat spikes too high at the top end of these SC's, you don't want to run them there especially w/o an IC.

A lysholm has an internal compression ratio, an eaton does not. That a HUGE difference in my book.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Doh, edited....

Im glad to hear that, i just was taking a look at an m112 thats on a customers cobra and couldn't figure out how i was going to get it under the hood

But i am going to look into the m90 and lysholm, still trying to mount it in place of the air box and then run an IC, hopefully i can pull it all together

thanks for all the help
Old 04-01-2004, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Almost forgot...

Consider a Vortech SC's (centrifugal) too. There basically just the compressor half of a turbo. Eliminates the exhaust plumbing of a turbo though. Of course, they have down sides too.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: 30v build up questions