Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

99.5 A4 2.8 Quattro MIL Problem/Question/Guidance - Sorta Long

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99.5 A4 2.8 Quattro MIL Problem/Question/Guidance - Sorta Long

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have a question for you folks. I've bought the baby as an Audi Certified used vechicle last July with 32k miles on it. I've done all scheduled maintenance as suggested. Used only synthetic oil, as suggested.

Yesterday, I pulled out and noticed my beloved car was a little draggy - nothing too bad, but one of those "in the back of your mind things." I stopped and got gas at the local BP station (93 octane - never anything else). When I pulled out, the car shuddered and shook and, literally, felt like it was going to fall apart. MIL light came on and was blinking. I turned around and went home. I could not drive the car over 35 mph and could barely get it up slight inclines. When I came to a stop, the idle was rough and dropped halfway below the one mark.

I had mentioned a similar (albeit way less serious problem) to the dealer last fall when I took it in for service, just hit the gas the car hesitated noticeably and then did fine. They, of course, said there was nothing wrong and the car never repeated the problem. The dealer has already replaced a cracked seal (also last fall).

I would just like to be prepared with some things that may be wrong or things they should be telling me the looked for on the car. Sufficed to say, I had it towed yesterday to the dealer. Any insight or experience would be greatly appreciated. I expect to drive this car until the wheels fall off, but did not expect that to occur at 52k miles when I've owned it for less than a year!

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Could be a cat convertor failing
Old 06-30-2003, 10:08 AM

Default MAF

Sounds like a bad MAF-mass air flow sensor. 99 @ 00's had alot of problems with them. Dealer should have found mis-fire codes for all cylinders. Also, you should never drive with the MIL flashing. You were probably dumping raw fuel into the cats.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Could be a cat convertor failing

Well, there was a rather nasty rotten egg/sulphur smell when I was finally able to stop safely.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:36 AM

Default Yeah, found out about that quit driving it thing when I was...

finally able to stop and check out the owner's manual.

Could faulty MAF sensor have caused the car to previously fail an emissions test? That was the only thing that came up when I checked the VIN before buying the car. Dealer said they ran an emissions test and the car was fine.

By the way, thanks for the response.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No way...it wouldn't be that bad.

I've driven around with the MAF bad and also tried it with disconnecting. It'll run OK, but not as bad as he mentioned.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds more likely that is the issue then
Old 06-30-2003, 11:28 AM

Default So, I need to make sure...

, if it is the cat converter, that the dealer identifies and corrects the initial problem that caused the converter failure, correct?
Old 06-30-2003, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The initial problem is that...

cats just fail. You just replace them. but it should fall under emissions warranty.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:58 AM

Cool. Thanks very much! (NT)

Quick Reply: 99.5 A4 2.8 Quattro MIL Problem/Question/Guidance - Sorta Long