Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Alright guys, I need help. I have had SIII for about 3 weeks now and the clutch is now starting to

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright guys, I need help. I have had SIII for about 3 weeks now and the clutch is now starting to

slip. At about 5300 rpm it is starting to slip. It's fine under normal driving condiitons, however, Once I hit 5300 it stops going faster. I know some of you guys have replaced. How much am I looking at spending, what kinds, websites, do I need a new flywheel? I know this is a longshot, but do you guys know an installer in Boston? How much to install? I don't suppose any of you guy's in the area that have done the install before are looking to make a few extra bucks? TIA Mike
Old 07-14-2002, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ok Mike here is what I know

the Werk sof Art cluthes that Jaun Mandoza sells are supposed to be quite nice. THey hold a lot of power adn retain stock drive ability. The only downside is they are relatively expensive. Some people on the board are tryng out someother options. I know Silroan is using some clutch popular in the DSM world in his stage 3 car. It's only a $400 part. I've been in his car adn witnessed a 6000 RPM drop. THere is 0 slip and he easily spens all 4 wheels. This is the only aftermarket clutch I've experienced. You shoudl email him to get more detailed impressions. He was still breaking it in when I rode in it. Just 250 miles on it at the time. I don't think people are replacing flywheels. In fact, people who were using super light flywheels were experienceing drivablity issues. So it seems like a clutch without a new flywheel is the way to go.

As for installation I would stay away from Autobahn in Peabody...their labor hours they charge you for are rediculous. Usually twice what it takes the average monkey to do the job. I would go with Shine if you don't mind going to Walpole. Just my $.02
Old 07-14-2002, 05:01 PM

Default Choices.

I just bought a SIII also. Haven't beat up the clutch yet, but I already have a WOA clutch on order. When I searched this was the one people appeared to have the most experience with. I dislike centerforce for other reasons, but the have an audi clutch, people have been talking about a clutch maker from southbend, although I forget their name. I think there is also a SPEC clutch people are using. Adrenaline motorsports is in the area, they list some clutches for the 1.8T, you could check them. I was going to do the clutch myself, but after doing the SIII install myself, I might just pay someone. Taking the trans out looks like a pain in the butt. I don't know labor figures, but I would guess $500? I actually live up in Andover. I haven't used any of the local tuning shops. If you are also on Ed's forum you can search and discuss clutch on that.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:30 PM

Default Dealer installed my Spec for ~500. It isn't that big a project but without a lift I wasn't about to

tackle it laying on my back on the garage floor.
Southbend is the clutch brand. I know of two satisfied Southbend customers. One with a Stage III the other is (IIRC) K04. The Southbend was ~300, I paid 500 for the Spec Stage 3.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:34 PM

Default If you don't beat the crap out of the clutch/flywheel between now and when you get the install, the

flywheel may be fine as is or it may merely require resurfacing to get rid of hot spots. If you wait too long you may need to replace it. WOA can supply a flywheel should the need arise and would be a logical alternative should you chose their clutch. A few other companies supply lightened flywheels but I don't have any experience with them nor do I know anyone who has.
Old 07-15-2002, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Alright guys, I need help. I have had SIII for about 3 weeks now

I too have stage III... with a Werks of Art stage III clutch. The two are a match made in heaven. The power put out by the APR STG3 and controlled by the WOA STG3 is siply amazing. VERY easy to drive.

Regards,

Adam S
Old 07-15-2002, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Vijay just got his S3 and RS4 clutch done

... he dropped it off at Adrenaline less than 2 weeks ago(?)... and picked it up this past Friday... You may want to drop him a note.

Cris
Old 07-15-2002, 07:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It took them a week and a half to do a SIII and a clutch!!!!
Old 07-15-2002, 07:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Adam, did you install the clutch? How much was it ? Is there a

website I could visit? TIA Mike
Old 07-15-2002, 07:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I don't really want to replace the flywheel with anything lighter,

Do you have any idea how much the flywheel weighs, costs? I can't stop beating the bag out of it. By the time I replace the clutch I think I will need that flywheel. I kind of like the weight of the stock one, It's great in traffic and retains stock driveability.

Quick Reply: Alright guys, I need help. I have had SIII for about 3 weeks now and the clutch is now starting to