Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Anybody have any ideas for an inexpensive rear brake upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have any ideas for an inexpensive rear brake upgrade?

I saw the tech article on the A8 rear brake rotors. That is a good idea but actually ends up costing ~$888 if you purchase everything new from clair. That's not the most expensive I've seen, but it is a little much for factory parts IMO. For ~$1000 there was a RS4 rear brake upgrade GB.

Has anybody else come up with a rear brake upgrad for relatively cheap? I was just looking for something that will go good with the APR/StopTech kit for 18" wheels when it comes out. Mostly for looks, that's why I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2001, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default from what I've heard from tuners and enthusiasts is that

there is no need for more rear braking power on our cars. Unless you want bigger rear brakes for asthetics.
Old 05-10-2001, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's pretty much it....

I want a front big brake mostly for looks. I know when you race if you have too large rear brakes it can be a disadvantage when turning and braking over bumps, etc. I mostly just want bigger rear brakes for looks and because I was planning on going with the APR/StopTech 14" front kit. I've been hearing that with a front rotor that size you will probably need to increase the rear a little to keep ABS working properly. So basically I'm looking for the cheapest route.
Old 05-10-2001, 09:21 AM

Default Disagree...At high speed the rears get loaded...

The people you are citing may be talking about something else. Since 98 or 98.5 the Bosch ABS system uses variable front/rear biasing to reduce nose dive at high speed. I found that in regular high speed driving with stock brakes that my rears wore much faster than the fronts.

They wore that way because the rears have no venting and they get exponentially higher heat under high speed and the variable proportioning.

The temperature issue is the key. The same spec. worked for a whopping day at the track vs. 2 years on the street.

I strongly advise going for Pagid pads and proper fluid for non-track cars and spend the money on some KDW tires/light rims. If you have lots of cash, get vented rear brakes.
Old 05-10-2001, 02:02 PM
SKS

Default The tuners are telling you that because they don't have a rear upgrade to sell you..

ofcourse you need rear brakes, drive a Jetta with rear drums a few laps, it's like doing hand stands. Rear brakes are out there and if you want to stop fast and balanced.
Old 05-14-2001, 12:26 PM

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel11.shtml
Old 05-14-2001, 12:43 PM

Default sometimes, 'thats the brakes'....(long)

I have the 12.3" A8 drilled rotors and Wilwood SL calipers, hawk pads, hard lines front and back and Motul 5.1 fluid. I have tried long and hard to get several things right with the brakes..... let me say one thing, its easy to get good looking brakes, but getting them to function safely, repeatedly, and without consistantly spending money is a whole other ball game....and then there is snow season. Ive just realized why so many racers that I know dont have jobs...its not because they have gobs of money (many do) its that they need to spend ALL THEIR TIME messing with their brakes, or carbs, or camber or boost control that they have no time to have a regular job nor regular life. (Flame suit on, boss...) I agree that the rear brakes are also worth upgrading for the simple fact that they could help the overall brake bias when 4 or 6 pot calipers are put up front and the teenie weenie 1 pots are on the back. Additionally, the wear from heat related stress on both the rotors, and even pads, calipers and brake lines can become an issue, especailly if the car sees any sort of pavement not legally minded by police. 245mm X 10mm SOLID rotors are gonna heat up quick, especailly trying to haul down the rear 35% of a 3000 lb car. The rears should be easy to upgrade to the new S4 style which is 256 X 20 and they are VENTED. I think it is a good question to be asked and I welcome every comment and criticism, especially ones based from experience.
Old 05-14-2001, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the info.